I need some info on the trany thats inside my Mesa MK IIC+.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xiwiwix

Reaction score
I need some info on the trany thats inside my Mesa MK IIC+.

It says this on one trany:

T60-152019
EIA606 332

And this on the other:

60-162xx3
EIxxx325

Any good?

Take Care

I have a 1984 Mark IIC+ that I bought direct from Mesa. all I can tell you is that the transformers you mentioned are original. The 60-162xx3
EIxxx325 in my amp also has "Mesa" stamped into it above the #'s

we were expecting boogiebabies to know the name of the tech who installed it and how much change was in his pocket that day, just by the tranny codes :D

Initially Randall Smith was taking Princetons, gutting them out and building a 4x10 Bassman circuit. He was getting the transformers from Fender. Fender got hip to what he was doing and quit selling him the Bassman trannys. He then began to build his own transformers. As far as I know Boogie still builds their own trannys. You can always give them a call if you want to dig deeper. Hope this helps! Boogie On...dv

According to the May 1983 issue of Guitar Player Magazine, page 16: " The final step in the process came when Randall decided that it made little sense to keep buying Fender Princetons to disassamble and so he started fabricating the Boogies entirely from scratch- including the chassis, cabinet, name plates, circuit boards, and custom transformers."

The above quote refers to operations pre 1980. In 1980 Randall moved operations out of his house and into a small Petaluma,Ca complex. It is not stated if or when he stopped making his own custom transformers.

I'm no authoratoratay...However.... All tranformers, like guitar pick-ups, are not created equal. Every guitarist knows there is a difference between cheaply made pick-ups and custom DiMarzio's. High-end preamp builders are very particular about the transformers they use, because the quality of the transformer, i.e., the components and build process, does matter. Smith more than likely wound some of the first transformers himself during the testing process and when satisfied with the results had Shumacher or an equivilent manufacture the transformers to his specs. And yes, the design is Fender.

DrewV said:
I'm no authoratoratay...However.... All tranformers, like guitar pick-ups, are not created equal. Every guitarist knows there is a difference between cheaply made pick-ups and custom DiMarzio's. High-end preamp builders are very particular about the transformers they use, because the quality of the transformer, i.e., the components and build process, does matter. Smith more than likely wound some of the first transformers himself during the testing process and when satisfied with the results had Shumacher or an equivilent manufacture the transformers to his specs. And yes, the design is Fender.

And what proof do you have to support this claim? Why would he start winding his own transformers? I have never heard or seen any evidence of that.

Latest posts

Back