I need help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which amp is for me?

• Road King II

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roadster

• Mark IV

• Triple Rectifier

• Other

• Total voters

6_6_6_1_syn

Reaction score
I've never owned a tube amplifier before and I'm hoping to buy a Mesa in the near future. I am having trouble deciding on which amp is right for me. I'm definitely looking for an amp head and I'll buy a cab according to the head I decide to buy. I play all styles but mostly classic and modern metal. I'm a huge fan of Dream Theater, Avenged Sevenfold, As I Lay Dying, Coheed and Cambria, Black Sabbath, Guns N' Roses, and Trivium. I was hoping to be able to aquire a tone relatively close to the tones that all of these bands use. At first, I was looking at a Triple Rectifier, because I had seen one at the local Guitar Center. After looking into all of the Mesa amps further, I had thought of buying a Road King II. That seemed like the perfect choice, until I saw the Roadster. For the price, the Roadster seemed like a better decision. After ruling out the Triple Rectifier altogether, I still couldn't decide on an amp. I would go back and forth between the Road King II and the Roadster. I was recently looking in the forums, and I saw a post about the Mark IV. I had never even thought of purchasing one of these, but it seemed like a great amp. Also, I originally looked at the Roadster after reading that Synyster Gates, Matt Heafy, and Corey Beaulieu use this amp. I read that As I Lay Dying and Coheed and Cambria use the Triple Rectifier. I also read that Zacky Vengeance uses the Stiletto Deuce, and John Petrucci uses many different Mesas. I'm still leaning more towards the Road King II, because of the versatility and the reputation of the clean channels and progressive linkage feature. If anyone could offer some advice on which of these to buy, or suggest another amp (series), it would be much appreciated. :mrgreen:

Because you say you are a huge fan of Dream Theater I have to assume you like Petrucci's tone. For this reason, I am going to vote Mark IV. Though some say they can get close with a RoadKing, it would be my second choice. Either of those amps are super versatile. The Roadster would be my alternate to the RoadKing. For bands like Sabbath and GnR you will want a Stiletto. The RoadKing can get you close as will the Mark IV. I would assume that you could get passable tones for the others from either amp also. It is more of a personal taste thing. If you like a tighter amp get the Mark IV. If you like a deeper voiced looser feeling amp look to the RoadKing. Both provide nice cleans. Both have options onboard that the other doesn't. The Roadster is just a stripped down RoadKing. If progressive linkage is a must then the RoadKing is your choice over the Roadster. I would say get out and play them but before you do get some settings to try. None of them are plug and play amps. Not even the Triple Rec. Be sure you know all the options available on the amps before you make any decision and above all play them so you know what you are getting into. These amps are expensive. Last but not least, buy used if you can to avoid getting hit with the initial depreciation. Let someone else lose that money.

Thank you Russ for all of the help. I really like the progressive linkage feature, but I do not feel it is a necessity. I'm extremely fond of Petrucci's tone, but I also am in love with Synyster Gates's sound. I still feel I'm leaning towards the Road King II over the Mark IV, but is the upgrade from the Roadster to Road King II really worth $600? Price is not a big issue, as I plan to buy my amp new, despite many suggestions otherwise. I just wasn't sure how much versatility it added to the amp.

Petrucci's relied way more on the Mark sound over the years than the Recto. Looks like he dabbled in Road Kings (probably endorsement ****) but lately it seems he's back to his trusty IIC+/IV pair (with a little help from his Lonestar friend).

This is his amp lineup for the upcoming DT album.
Do you see a Road King here?

jp_studioequip1.jpg

...Neither do I.

6_6_6_1_syn said:
Thank you Russ for all of the help.

Hey, no problem. That is what this board is all about.

I really like the progressive linkage feature, but I do not feel it is a necessity. I'm extremely fond of Petrucci's tone, but I also am in love with Synyster Gates's sound. I still feel I'm leaning towards the Road King II over the Mark IV, but is the upgrade from the Roadster to Road King II really worth $600?

OK, You tell me... Is it?

Price is not a big issue, as I plan to buy my amp new, despite many suggestions otherwise. I just wasn't sure how much versatility it added to the amp.

If you buy a Road King used, you could save almost half the price of a used Mark IV. Think about it that way.

Russ said:
If you buy a Road King used, you could save almost half the price of a used Mark IV. Think about it that way.

Plus, if you're smart, your resale value is equal to (or maybe even greater than, thanks to inflation) what you put in.

If you think about it, it's pretty pointless to buy stuff new. I can kinda see it with guitars... but maybe not. The second you touch piece of equipment, it goes from "new" to "used" and the value drops significantly (in most cases).

If you can save 20-40% on a mint condition used item, why the hell wouldn't you? :p

Unless you are rich and you can wipe your butt with 100 dollar bills you should buy used if you can. Mesa owners take good care of their stuff so it shouldn't be hard to find something in excellent condition.

If you buy an amp used for 1000 dollars guess what it's worth 6 months from now? Yup, you guessed it! 1000 dollars!

Welcome to the joy of buying and selling used gear.

Buy used and if you don't like it after trying it out for a few months you can sell it and take a small hit, if any, on the money you paid for it. Just make sure you take good care of it.

Well, I guess I'll look into buying a used item. But I looked at the poll and its Mark IV by far. Could you get Syn's tone or Matt and Corey's out of a Mark IV? It seems like everyones helping me get Petrucci's tone (Thanks for all of the help, though!), while what I'm looking for is a versitile amp that can come close to all of these tones. I thought because A7X and Trivium use the Roadster, the Road King II would be my best bet. With the progressive linkage, I thought I could come close to Petrucci's tone and a Triple Rectifier tone. I was basically looking into the Road King II primarily for that feature. Is the Road King II any more versatile than the Mark IV? Also, what cabinet series is built for the Mark IV?

6_6_6_1_syn said:
Well, I guess I'll look into buying a used item. But I looked at the poll and its Mark IV by far. Could you get Syn's tone or Matt and Corey's out of a Mark IV? It seems like everyones helping me get Petrucci's tone (Thanks for all of the help, though!), while what I'm looking for is a versitile amp that can come close to all of these tones. I thought because A7X and Trivium use the Roadster, the Road King II would be my best bet. With the progressive linkage, I thought I could come close to Petrucci's tone and a Triple Rectifier tone. I was basically looking into the Road King II primarily for that feature. Is the Road King II any more versatile than the Mark IV?

They're versatile in different ways. The best suggestion I have for you is to go play a Rectifier and go play a Mark IV. They are drastically different tones. You won't get the thunderous low end out of the Mark that you will from the Recto but it's a trade off... to me if you play lead at all or you desire super tight riffing rhythms, the Mark is my vote for you...

The RK and MarkIV both cover a ton of ground sonically, but it's different ground as I said before. You can read thousands and thousands of comments on these two amps and they're all completely worthless until you demo the amps yourself and make up your mind. Tone is ultra subjective so while it's nice to read about them, your ears are the only important factor.

If you want my suggestion since you've never owned a tube amp before, don't get the RKII... for the money you'd pay for a new RK you can get a used Dual Rectifier and a used Mark IV and have 99% of the tones (save for the lonestar cleans and the british EL34 sound) you're looking for... I'm not suggesting you do this but it's nice food for thought. The RK is a ton of amplifier and I think it's just too much for your first tube amp.

All of the above is my opinion on the topic so take it with a grain of salt, to me there's no 'one amp' and you're not going to be able to find one that wil do EVERYTHING you want.. hell I have 3 amps and there are tones I still lust after. Go and play both.. don't worry what XYZ musician uses because their tone is in their hands. For the significant investment that either of these amps entails, you should be very well educated sonically on their territory so go and rock 'em both 8)

6_6_6_1_syn said:
Well, I guess I'll look into buying a used item. But I looked at the poll and its Mark IV by far. Could you get Syn's tone or Matt and Corey's out of a Mark IV? It seems like everyones helping me get Petrucci's tone (Thanks for all of the help, though!), while what I'm looking for is a versitile amp that can come close to all of these tones. I thought because A7X and Trivium use the Roadster, the Road King II would be my best bet. With the progressive linkage, I thought I could come close to Petrucci's tone and a Triple Rectifier tone. I was basically looking into the Road King II primarily for that feature. Is the Road King II any more versatile than the Mark IV? Also, what cabinet series is built for the Mark IV?

They're both very versatile and completely different. In the end, you just need to make your mind up about whether you want a Mark or a Recto. No, actually, you need to change your mind and decide to get a Mark, because those can get a much tighter rhythm sound than a Recto (especially the 3 channel ones) and a much, much, much sweeter lead sound.

From what I've heard Recto cabs (with Celestion Vintage 30's) work really well for Mark's too... but it all comes down to personal preference.

I don't know much about speaker cabs. The Mark IV combos come with EV Black shadow speakers, I think...

Latest posts

Back