I need help Lonestar classic vs Express 5:50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John T

Reaction score
I bought a used 5:50 and it had a noise and I've decided I'll bring it back tomorrow. I thought I'd be smart and get a 5:50 head [add $350] but what I really want is a LSC head [add another $800 on top of the $350] so I play currently at home and volume is not an issue.I don't really want to spend the extra for the LSC head but my equipment buying addiction is telling me that I have room on a credit card .Now what I need to know from players with experience with both amps, is the difference worth the money for someone who plays at home , what's going to make me say "WoW" this is worth it, I've been playing the 5:50 for 2 weeks and I like it and let's face it I don't need more but the want factor is too strong . So are the tone possibilities so much more with the LSC that I should jump in the deep end . I have 2 2x12 cabs one with 2 g12t75 and one with 2 200 watt Ev's Some feedback would be great tonite because the store is 130 miles round trip away from here.Thanks

If you are happy with the sound of the express, then no need to spend a bunch of money on a LS.

I was hoping for a little more insight into the Ls as compared to the Express!

Welcome to the board. There are actually lots of threads about this in the forum above this one (Modern Era Amps). For some reason, it's a comparison that comes up a lot; in fact there's one in this forum now, I just remembered. I can't find it, but the phrase "Jack of all trades, master of none" came up in regards to the Express. They also have a reputation for a certain amount of hiss, so maybe that's what you heard. But most amps have some hiss... even the LSC has a little.

Other observations:
Express:
Low-fuss tones out of the box, voicings almost like presets. Lighter. Contour control is nice.
LSC:
Infinitely variable nuance and subtlety. Touch-sensitive and responsive. Tough as nails. Heavy.

So, I don't know... what are the endless tonal possibilities worth to you? The LSC made the Express look like a toy when I checked them out, but I'm definitely addicted to tone. I'm also not a bedroom-only player, so my personal rationalization for jumping on a LSC was also bolstered by the fact that I'd be investing in a high-quality tool for my trade. But if I weren't so picky about my tone and how my hands-to-guitar-to-amp connection feels to play, I might have been happy with an Express. Then again, there are people here who actually prefer the Express on its own merits. The LSC isn't the holy grail for everyone.

My inclination would be, for anyone in the current economic climate who doesn't absolutely need the LSC's flexibility and the special thing it has, there's no compelling reason to shell out the extra cash. Get a nice Barber or Fulltone pedal if you gotta deal with the GAS.

The story is over I bought a Lonestar head and a Lonestar 4x10 cab I will post again when I've had the time to develope an opinion....Thanks

John T said:
The story is over I bought a Lonestar head and a Lonestar 4x10 cab I will post again when I've had the time to develope an opinion....Thanks

Yeah man! Good choice!

Latest posts

Back