I need Help I am getting the itch to sell my mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentSSL

Reaction score
I don't know why I think I miss my old setup maybe or I feel stagnet or maybe its because i feel the Mark v is high end and I can't afford a guitar worthy of its awesomeness :)

However I have tried almost everything out there and the only amp I owned as long or longer then my Mark v was an early 2000's three channel dual rectifier. It in my opinion is the only amp that can hold its own tone and versatilty wise against the Mark V when it comes to bar bands and Mesa products. Points for ease of use in a live blue coller band. Lets face it I'm not in Metalllica or opening for them so do I really need all that versatilty when I am writing originals that no one will ever hear or playing covers to hopefully make money in the world of music. The unfortunate thing is I have my half stack in an apartment right now and have no time to play it but it sounds so awsome my current rig and guitars are as follows below let me know what you guys think I am currently not in a band by the way.

Guitars-
Bc Rich virgo duncan desiigned distortions
Epiphone Explorer Dimarzio X2n in the bridge all black hardware
Ibanez vbt700 or v blade with dimarzio Deactivators which will soon be replaced by something better
and an Ibanez 7 string with a blaze in the bridge

Pedal chain
95q crybaby wah
mxr chorus
and isp decimator

Cab Mesa 412

Hey, you said you need help. Here's my opinion FWIW:
It doesn't matter that you are not famous, or whether you play in bars, stadiums or your garage. It doesn't matter whether your guitars are "as good as" your amp. Most of us play music because we love to play. We love the feel of the guitar, the sound, and how it makes us feel. What matters is if you own an amp you love, and find it inspiring and a joy to play through, everything else is irrelevant. If you own it and you love it and it brings you happiness in a crazy world, why would you want to get rid of it, unless you absolutely needed the money to eat, feed your family, etc...

If you have a choice between keeping a piece of gear that you love and getting rid of it, keep it unless there is some compelling life-altering reason. You seem to love the MarkV and also seem to be tossing up some pretty minor reasons for wanting to sell it. If there is a piece of gear that you really want MORE than the Mk V, go for it. I've found that I get that itch, and usually regret it. I'm at the point now where I won't sell the one I own until I get the new one and decide which one I prefer. It just requires you to float the money for a little while, but then you avoid the regret and "oh crap" factor of selling something you love and not ending up with something love.

Don't sell it... at least not for the reasons in your post.

That's what I have to offer.

Dare to accept that you have something nice that gives you joy. Don't overthink things and talk yourself out of it.

If you really feel guilty, challenge yourself to use it more, as best as you can (write songs for friends, make them recordings they will love). Enjoy this blessing and have fun with it. Don't throw it away if you like it and can avoid it.

I've been in the same boat for a year or so now. I don't play in a band anymore and don't see myself ever starting another one up so a 1oo watt half stack is a bit much.
I've thought about selling the Roadster and 4x12 and either going with a little Recto-Verb combo or a modeler. Yeah, the Roadster is no doubt the best amp I've ever owned but I can't really use it anymore.
In your situation living in an apartment I'd strongly advise you to sell your amp and get something that you can actually enjoy.

ryjan said:
In your situation living in an apartment I'd strongly advise you to sell your amp and get something that you can actually enjoy.

Agreed, there are dozens of small low wattage boutique tube amps out there for low level playing including some mesa boogie models. I got myself a Fender Gretta 2 watt amp to use for my bedroom practicing, but i kept my Dual Rec just...because i love it. If I needed the money i'd probably sell it but god forbid that ever happens.

babow2 said:

Totally! Don't sell what you love unless need dictates otherwise. I can't tell you how many posts I've read on many forums from people regretting selling gear, and wishing they had it back, or people selling gear out of necessity. Life is full of unexpected twists and turns. Someday you might have a need for this amp and you'll rue the day you sold it.

But then again, there is nothing inherently rare about the Mark V. You will be able to buy another one for many years to come, and as new models emerge, prices should soften. Or, you could demo the new Mark V:25 and maybe your questions will be answered. :)

babow2 said:
Hey, you said you need help. Here's my opinion FWIW:
It doesn't matter that you are not famous, or whether you play in bars, stadiums or your garage. It doesn't matter whether your guitars are "as good as" your amp. Most of us play music because we love to play. We love the feel of the guitar, the sound, and how it makes us feel. What matters is if you own an amp you love, and find it inspiring and a joy to play through, everything else is irrelevant. If you own it and you love it and it brings you happiness in a crazy world, why would you want to get rid of it, unless you absolutely needed the money to eat, feed your family, etc...

If you have a choice between keeping a piece of gear that you love and getting rid of it, keep it unless there is some compelling life-altering reason. You seem to love the MarkV and also seem to be tossing up some pretty minor reasons for wanting to sell it. If there is a piece of gear that you really want MORE than the Mk V, go for it. I've found that I get that itch, and usually regret it. I'm at the point now where I won't sell the one I own until I get the new one and decide which one I prefer. It just requires you to float the money for a little while, but then you avoid the regret and "oh crap" factor of selling something you love and not ending up with something love.

I agree 100% with this.

What others have said....

I was in your boat for a different reasons. I was basically filling a void in my life where there used to be love and joy and nothing else mattered. I gave up playing the guitar at least a decade ago and I did not miss it. One of the last conversations I had with my wife was her making me promise not to give up on playing the guitar (she heard me playing through the Mark III before I sold it). Since my wife passed away, I turned to music to ease my sorrows. I do have regrets selling my Mark III but that has a good side to it, I know the person I sold it too is making good use of it and is very pleased to have it. A few months later, the Mark V was something I bought since I had a 412 cab and a Mark IV combo. Why not get something different. I missed the Mark III to some extent where the Mark IV or the Mark V just did not seem satisfying. Then came the RA100, and finally the Roadster. I did not sell or trade the V or the IV. Why all of this gear? I am not in a band, I am not a musician, I am a nobody, I just love to play the guitar and I enjoy all of my amps. I finally came to understand my issues which has nothing to do with satisfaction of the amplifiers or any instrument but more so on a life changing event.

Think it over. If there is something you would rather have than the Mark V, by all means consider the choices. Also realize how you will feel without it. If the amp gives you great pleasure for hours on end, writing your own music and being creative even if no one else would ever hear it, it is about peace of mind, expression of yourself that matters most.

Advice: I've been there. If you must flip something, flip the 4 x 12 but keep the head. The RA 27" 1 x 12 is the biggest sounding 1 x 12 I have ever tried and it works exceptionally well with my Dual Rectifier and my Electra Dyne. I have a 2 x 12 as well, which I use for band rehearsals. I'd suggest getting a 1 x 12 since you can use the Mark V at reasonable volumes this way and still have enough power for jamming and small shows. Alternatively, a Torpedo Live (Digital processor / cab sim / load box) is great for jamming and recording without having a cab at all.

Also, if you can, save up your $$$s and get a better axe. I personally have gotten some great results with Canadian built Godin guitars. They're well designed and well built guitars that don't break the budget. Throwing a set of Bare Knuckle Pickups gives an absolutely fantastic result that will keep you playing for hours.

guys sorry for the late reply and seriously thank you all your words of wisdom are very inspiring I am keeping the amp and building up the rig because even though I don't have a band I still want my hotrod maybe one I'll do a bedroom recording rig but I want to have a great live set up when that new band comes around I will be posting pictures of my progress and what I am doing again thank you for all your sharing of wisdom it honestly truly helped plus The Mark V is the only new piece of real gear I have ever bought and would like to keep it because of that alone not to mention it sounds awesome :)

Good man. If I was you I'd get a 1 x 12 first for small stuff. Cabs are easily interchangeable and this way, you'll have a practice / jam rig together.

No offense but I feel like I just read a load of sentimental garbage. I think your itch to sell is going nowhere, and that the only thing that is going to scratch that itch is to sell the Mark and buy another Recto. 8)

Sometimes the itch can last up to six months. If you would like a safe place to keep your Mark until you recover, I operate a rescue shelter for unwanted Mesa amps. By now, your Mark V knows that you have "the itch". And, trust me, it is going to impact how it responds to you. Touch sensitivity? You can forget that now. Your amp needs the services of a good "amp whisperer". Someone needs to show that amp some love and let it gets it good vibrations back. It will take the amp as long to recover as it does you. The number to call is BR-514.

Thanks for reading.
Hope you got a good laugh from it!

bgh said:
Sometimes the itch can last up to six months. If you would like a safe place to keep your Mark until you recover, I operate a rescue shelter for unwanted Mesa amps. By now, your Mark V knows that you have "the itch". And, trust me, it is going to impact how it responds to you. Touch sensitivity? You can forget that now. Your amp needs the services of a good "amp whisperer". Someone needs to show that amp some love and let it gets it good vibrations back. It will take the amp as long to recover as it does you. The number to call is BR-514.

Thanks for reading.
Hope you got a good laugh from it!

Hahahaha

Latest posts

Back