I need help dialing in tone Badly

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentSSL

Reaction score
So i have a 1995 2 channel black face chrome chassis small logo dual rectifier head and a mesa recto cab using emg's 81 in the bridge 60 in the neck (but i hardly use the neck pickup). Using Schecter guitars with mahogany bodies one has a flame maple top hybrid slinky strings 10 and 9 gauge. I am running nothing but a bad horsey-wah and a noise gate the G-string decimator pedal. Finally 6l6 red tubes I think there are differences between the colors codes but whatever i am not buying new tubes again the order was already screwed up i wanted greens **** guitar center lol.

I am looking for a nice classic wall recto rhythmic sound that will cut through the mix my tone has been either too clattered or fizzy i think i just suck at dialing this in i used to have a 2003 three channel so anyone that knows about the 2 channels please chime in and please don't tell me to read the directions i have done it a thousand times it helps and it doesn't. I am also thinking of switching to the mark series more then likely the newest version.

Try switching out your preamp tubes, I now run Shuguang 12AX7-B's in V1 through V4 and a Tung-Sol Gold Pin in V5 of my 2ch Triple and it crushes with plenty of tightness with no boost (I run unboosted anyways)

I play a lot of really fast rhythms (like Fear Factory and Behemoth) and have no tightness or mush problems.
Also make sure you are using good instrument and speaker cables for no weak links, and check out the battery powering your EMGs and/or preform the 18v mod.

Try running your settings at noon but max the mids and set your gain at 2/3 o'clock. Bold and choice of rectification (Diodes/Tubes) is up to you.

thats good info where do i get the tubes if i go that route and i also want more info like dialing it in 101

Hi: These are the settings that my son runs his DR at. I run my Rectoverb at the same settings and it sounds almost identical. Maybe this will help? This is in 'Modern' mode. Try using the 720p setting on YouTube - the sound is better. These were all stock Mesa tubes - both preamp and power.

bass-4 o clock

gain-1 o clock (i think it was at about 2 o clock in the video)

treble-4.5 o clock

presence-1 o clock

mid-3.5 o clock

master-(varies) 9 o clock

This is the tone you can expect to get:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRlhxYk_EFk

Recording gets a bit muddy at times but I think you'll get the idea.

Hope this helps!
Chris

Back