I must be the unluckiest Mesa owner (EVER)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reg

Reaction score
I have just had to send my 4th Express 5:50 amp back in less than 4 weeks!
Amp no. 1 - got it home and there was a really bad vibration coming from somewhere in the amp. Particularly bad on certain notes / chords. Took it back and got:

Amp no. 2 - Plugged it in and nothing! Well, it sounded as if it was operating on about 1/4 watt. Rang the shop. I got the impression they thought I was making this up. Said they would check with Mesa UK and get back to me. Put the phone down and just started to muck around with it when suddenly, kerblam! it went straight onto full volume. Frightened the frigging life out of me and everyone in the house. Not to worry though as it soon stopped working! The shop got back to me to say that yes, there apparently was a problem with some of these. Something to do with a faulty input jack and to bring it back. In the meantime, it worked and then stopped a couple of times so went back for:

Amp no. 3 - Told this had been checked, was perfect and had been resealed. Took this home, opened it up and took it straight back! It had no footswitch, cover, manual or inspection tag. Also had some foam trapped between the grille and top panel as well as some marks on the top. I wasn't going to pay £1200 for someone else's old amp so got:

Amp no. 4 - This seemed OK to start with but I soon started to get that horrible vibration again. Had a look inside and noticed that one of the 12AX7 valves (2nd from the right as you look from behind) wasn't glowing at all). Bypassed the shop this time and contacted Mesa UK distributor direct who kindly sent me 2 new 6l6s, a 12AX7 and a T-shirt for my troubles! Changed the tubes but the vibration was just as bad. Put hand (carefully) on each of the 6l6s in turn and noted that the vibration eased a bit so ? tube vibration. However, the new 12 AX7 was still not glowing properly.
Told to take it back to the shop again!! I am now waiting to see what will happen.

I try and remain optomistic but it's not easy!
Do I cut my losses or should I stick with Mesa?

Can anyone beat this tale of woe (not that you'ld want to)

Wow.. that's insanely bad luck. Sounds like that shipment of Express amps got thrown about a bit.

It's not bad luck,it's called BAD PROFESSIONALS !!!!!
Man if I were you I probably don't paid for this retarded bad work.
Bunch of retardeds !
They should give you at least 1 year warranty over their retarded work ! :evil:

18&Life said:
Bunch of retardeds !

who is the bad professional? the mesa guys that build it? the shipping company? the store reps?

how have you determined whos fault this is?

sound to me like a bad batch that went out from the factory, it happens in every industry, thats just life.

RJ2213 said:
18&Life said:
Bunch of retardeds !

who is the bad professional? the mesa guys that build it? the shipping company? the store reps?

how have you determined whos fault this is?

sound to me like a bad batch that went out from the factory, it happens in every industry, thats just life.

I wouldn`t subscribe that. Shouldn`t happen if you have good quality assurance.

A fellow Mesa using Brit

We welcome you to this wonderful board where we celebrate all things mesa and boogie...and for a good reason

THese amps really are the best you will find.FULL STOP
I have been playing mesa for almost 10 years and never really had a problem,any problem I have had is my own fault :oops: :oops: :(

I would say...Stick with mesa,get your cash back and get another mesa,something different in their line

I have heard alot of bad things about the Express line(only form british users,mesa should ship with different people)

£1300 will get you a single rec head easily over here and Im sure the guys at this store could knock some cash off of a cab for you after all the trouble you have been through

I think you have had a very bad experiance with these amps to begin with but dont let this muck your veiws of this company,there products are built like tanks and sound AWSOME!!!

I think you should demo some of the rectifier range and even a MKIV but if your budget is aabout £1200-£1300 then these are outta the question.I ahve owned several mesa's and played just about all of them.I wasnt really greatly enamoured by the express line and quite frankly wouldnt pay £800 for one :(

try every mesa the store has on display and you will see what these babies have to offer,their build quality is outstanding but I dont know what has happened to this line,a lack in quality control :x :x mesa better not go the way of the marshall or I wont be happy

now go check your mesa dealer for all their products and dont bail out with mesa

ohh what company did you get your amp from??
Euan

I would contact Mesa direct and explain your dilema to them. Sorry to hear about your woes mate.

Could there be something with the 220v that's causing this problem?

this shouldnt affect it at all

I ahve had many mesa's and never a problem
sounds more to do with quality control/shipping/retailer handelling etc etc than a technical component I suppose it could be a particular component being used in the 220v express line but I think its probably a lack of these factors stated above which aint good :(

I would second trying a different mesa, personally I won't get anything so early in the production of it, they just released that line and probably haven't worked out all the bugs (the road king is already on vers. II revision II and the lonestar and stiletto are both on vers. II already). If you can afford it check out the Mark series or the rectifier series.

ToneAddictJon said:
I would second trying a different mesa, personally I won't get anything so early in the production of it, they just released that line and probably haven't worked out all the bugs (the road king is already on vers. II revision II and the lonestar and stiletto are both on vers. II already). If you can afford it check out the Mark series or the rectifier series.

This is a clearer version of my statements :D:D

ohh also the dude from the band Chevelle is probably a little worse of than yourself...he had all his mesa gear stolen,now thats a lot of mesa to go walkies 8) 8) 8) 8) :( :shock: :twisted:

mesanomad100 said:
ohh also the dude from the band Chevelle is probably a little worse of than yourself...he had all his mesa gear stolen,now thats a lot of mesa to go walkies 8) 8) 8) 8) :( :shock: :twisted:

Yeah...no kidding.....i'd still be crying.....lol

-AJH

I wouldn't be crying, I'd be excited to buy a bunch of new gear!!! Those dudes have nice full pockets after the last few albums and tours 8)

Peronally I would have been delighted to have had the bloody thing stolen. I've checked the household insurance and we're definitely covered!
I've been reading back through some of the other comments and a few people are reporting problems with their Expresses.

As a first time Mesa owner, it has been a bit of a nightmare.
This is probably not the place to ask about different makes of amps (!) but I'm not sure which way to go now.
In all probabilty, I won't ever use the amp anywhere but in the house.
I preferred the sound of the 5:50 over the 5:25 but it is obviously very powerful.
Had thought about the Lone Star Special.
Any thoughts on that one and please tell me if they have reliabilty issues!!!

I really like the lonestar line. A LSC is next on my list of amps to buy, I was completely impressed by every tone I got out of the few I tried, the clean channel was to die for and the distortion channel is really hard to describe- a more liquid version of the MK IV? If it had 3 channels it would be in my setup right now, but as soon as I have the funds 8)
Personally I liked the LSC better, but the LSS was sweet too.

yeah sounds like that shipment of amps got the living **** beat out of it in shipping.

Hi well Mesa is the way to go
the Budda make of amps are really good,THD,Koch

These are all perfect for in the house,the thing about mesa is they arent really house amps(unless you use an attenuator)

Guitarguitar are doing the Budda 18 1x12" combo at a great price,like £500 cheaper than retail

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/amplification_detail.asp?stock=04112411362118&guitars=8

These are great heads also
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/amplification_detail.asp?stock=04050411474718&guitars=26

or one of these
http://machinehead.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/24_27_76/products_id/394

I mean these are only a small selection of amps that will stay up there with your boogie but by no means are a mesa boogie(Im biased),I would say go to a good guitar shop and try out alot of there high end amps and then make up your own mind(mesa own's every other company :) )but these are a good little range of amps to get you started

I myself may look into purchasing a Budda at that price for my house/smaller club gigs where I cant unleash my beast...The RECTO

ToneAddictJon said:
I really like the lonestar line. A LSC is next on my list of amps to buy, I was completely impressed by every tone I got out of the few I tried, the clean channel was to die for and the distortion channel is really hard to describe- a more liquid version of the MK IV? If it had 3 channels it would be in my setup right now, but as soon as I have the funds 8)
Personally I liked the LSC better, but the LSS was sweet too.

Great explination of the LSC,I love these amps but Im looking for the more aggresive MKIV to couple with my Recto,unless I find a LSC short head before I raise the funds for a MKIV

I have just been told the amp (4th one) is back from repair.
I almost daren't go and pick it up!

I am going to talk to the shop about a LSS and try and make my mind up.
However, if I do bring the Express home and it goes again then THAT IS IT!
I mean it.

P.S. thanks for all the advice and tips. What a great site (just wished I'd found it before buying!)

Latest posts

Back