I knew it was coming.... Amp **** the bed today

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawtoothgrin

Reaction score
The fuses in my Rectifier have been blowing nonstop lately. I called a tech at Mesa and he walked me through some diagnostics. I took out all the tubes, put a new fuse in, and the fuse is still blowing when I flip the power switch. Something's obviously wrong inside the head. I'm going to have to ship out my baby sometime late this week to get her fixed. :(

Has anybody ever had a similar problem? How much did you end up paying to have a Tech check it out and fix it? I have no idea as to how much I'll be spending :x

Are there any Mesa authorized repair spots around your area.. I believe one of the guitar shops in my area has this.

There is a place about an hour and a half away that the Mesa guy tracked over the phone for me. I think I might bring my head out there this weekend; there's no way I'd be willing to ship it out to them :lol:

I'm just worried about how much I'll be paying, and if this Tech's going to do a good job or not. Last thing I need is to end up dropping a load of money on this and then having the amp crap out in the near future

I need to stop thinking so negative :x

The amp ain't going to fix itself and if you aren't sure you can trust the local tech, I recommend sending it to Mesa in CA. You can call and get an RA number. I found it to actually be faster than the local tech who had a longer wait than sending it to Mesa. The shipping is the only cost and you should wrap it well.

If the tubes are out when power is supplied then you most likely have a primary transformer issue that's causing the fuses to blow. I've yet to find alternative after-market transformers for Mesa. Your best bet is to ship it off to Petaluma and let them replace with stock parts. I've seen this problem with Recto's being turned on repeatedly w/o being plugged into a speaker cab. Hopefully you haven't been doing that.

Guitarzan said:
If the tubes are out when power is supplied then you most likely have a primary transformer issue that's causing the fuses to blow. I've yet to find alternative after-market transformers for Mesa. Your best bet is to ship it off to Petaluma and let them replace with stock parts. I've seen this problem with Recto's being turned on repeatedly w/o being plugged into a speaker cab. Hopefully you haven't been doing that.

Yeah, that sounds like a smart idea. I'm just iffy about shipping from MA. to CA. and then having them ship back.

I'm going to take the amp to the local tech this weekend, and if the primary transformer is the problem I'll call Mesa and let them know they have a head on the way.

I'm just iffy about shipping from MA. to CA. and then having them ship back

Go to your local Mesa dealer...They have to have one box laying around with the foamy inserts. Don't worry about shipping it to Mesa...It's already broken, They're going to fix it and more than likely send it back to you professionally packed. :D

Guitarzan said:
I'm just iffy about shipping from MA. to CA. and then having them ship back

Go to your local Mesa dealer...They have to have one box laying around with the foamy inserts. Don't worry about shipping it to Mesa...It's already broken, They're going to fix it and more than likely send it back to you professionally packed. :D

Good points. :D

Thanks for that, I'm not as worried anymore :)

Latest posts

Back