i have too much mesa stuff! help me decide what to sell off.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TelosHedge

Reaction score
ok, so i admit it. i have a problem. i've been collecting mesa boogie amps for the last year and it's gotten a little out of hand. i think i'm at the point where i've got more than i really need, and thats a serious understatement. however, every time i sit down with all of the amps with my favorite guitar to decide what i dont need, i feel like i can't part with any of them. they all seem to do something special for me.

i figure the only way to maybe get the ball rolling is to ask the outside opinions what would be good to keep, and what wouldn't. due to how mesa makes some of their stuff, i can imagine myself having a few amps that produce close to the same tones, so why have doubles? here's the list of what i've got...

HEADS
Roadster
MKIV
MKV
.50 Caliber (no GEQ)
F50

COMBOS
single rect-o-verb 1x12
nomad 45 2x12
express 5:50 1x12

RACKMOUNT
recto-recording pre
studio pre
fifty/fifty poweramp

CABS
2x 1x12 EVM ported Thiele closedbacks
vertical 2x12 rectifier/F closedback
horizontal rectifier closedback
1x10 subway 22 openback
1x12 blackshadow openback

any suggestions would be great. i'd love to hear your opinions!

TelosHedge said:
ok, so i admit it. i have a problem. i've been collecting mesa boogie amps for the last year and it's gotten a little out of hand. i think i'm at the point where i've got more than i really need, and thats a serious understatement. however, every time i sit down with all of the amps with my favorite guitar to decide what i dont need, i feel like i can't part with any of them. they all seem to do something special for me.

i figure the only way to maybe get the ball rolling is to ask the outside opinions what would be good to keep, and what wouldn't. due to how mesa makes some of their stuff, i can imagine myself having a few amps that produce close to the same tones, so why have doubles? here's the list of what i've got...

HEADS
Roadster
MKIV
MKV
.50 Caliber (no GEQ)
F50

COMBOS
single rect-o-verb 1x12
nomad 45 2x12

RACKMOUNT
recto-recording pre
studio pre
fifty/fifty poweramp

CABS
1x10 subway 22 openback

Mark V with Matching cab and Roadster with Matching Cab and that's it.

KEEP: Roadster = SELL: single rect-o-verb 1x12, recto-recording pre
KEEP: MKV = SELL: MKIV, studio pre

SELL: .50 Caliber (no GEQ)
SELL: F50

SELL: nomad 45 2x12
KEEP??: express 5:50 1x12 (for a nice plug and play, carry around, not too big, not too heavy, low volume bedroom jam type of amp)

SELL: fifty/fifty poweramp

CABS
KEEP: 2x 1x12 EVM ported Thiele closedbacks
SELL: vertical 2x12 rectifier/F closedback
KEEP: horizontal rectifier closedback
SELL: 1x10 subway 22 openback
SELL: 1x12 blackshadow openback

I think you're emotionally attached to these amps. Once you sell some, you'll feel better. Break free.

TelosHedge said:

HEADS
Roadster
MKIV
MKV
.50 Caliber (no GEQ)
F50

COMBOS
single rect-o-verb 1x12
nomad 45 2x12

RACKMOUNT
recto-recording pre
studio pre
fifty/fifty poweramp

CABS
1x10 subway 22 openback

Sell the Mark IV to ME!
Where are you?

there is no question i am attached to these amps emotionally. i'm not sure why, as i dont have too much history with most of them. i know they all do have their own colors to them, but i'm getting to the point where maybe keeping all of these around for their very slight differences is a little insane. i would certainly rather have a broader range of stuff here to use and with the money i'd get from selling these i could certainly do that.

i definitely want to keep my roadster and my mark V. i am on the fence about selling my IV, since i just recently got the V a couple of days ago and was using the IV primarily before it came. the nomad i could definitely be without, as well as the express and the single rec. i really feel that the F head is very different from both the marks and the rectos, so im not sure about that one. the rackmount preamps sound absolutely terrible direct but are silky smooth and wonderful through the cabinets - so if i keep either one of those i have to keep the fifty fifty. ugh!

to the guy that wants my IV - im in NY. it has new JJ tubes. i love how it sounds. what are they even worth?

i appreciate all the opinions, none are being ignored!!!

If you want a serious downsize, here's what I'd do

Keep the Roadster and MKV, the Express combo, ditch the rack stuff.

TelosHedge said:
there is no question i am attached to these amps emotionally. i'm not sure why, as i dont have too much history with most of them. i know they all do have their own colors to them, but i'm getting to the point where maybe keeping all of these around for their very slight differences is a little insane. i would certainly rather have a broader range of stuff here to use and with the money i'd get from selling these i could certainly do that.

i definitely want to keep my roadster and my mark V. i am on the fence about selling my IV, since i just recently got the V a couple of days ago and was using the IV primarily before it came. the nomad i could definitely be without, as well as the express and the single rec. i really feel that the F head is very different from both the marks and the rectos, so im not sure about that one. the rackmount preamps sound absolutely terrible direct but are silky smooth and wonderful through the cabinets - so if i keep either one of those i have to keep the fifty fifty. ugh!

to the guy that wants my IV - im in NY. it has new JJ tubes. i love how it sounds. what are they even worth?

i appreciate all the opinions, none are being ignored!!!

All the rackmount stuff you have is already available in the head / combo versions you own, anyway. Similar sounds/tones. If you feel the F head gives you someting different, keep it. Assess the MIV against the V and then make a decision to sell one of them. Sell the rest and buy yourself a top notch guitar. You will play the guitar all the time. If it was me, I'd buy a nice, original issue Ibanez Artist AR 300 or a PRS. Maybe even a Peavey Wolfgang. Something to think about.

fortunately i'm not in a pinch to sell the equipment. i am absolutely fine in the guitar department. everything i've ever needed (short of a crazy private stock 7 string prs) i've got. i was thinking about maybe taking the money and moving to other amps for variety. i run a guitar-based project studio out of my basement and having more sounds might be better for me. i could also go the other way and just buy some decent studio equipment. either way, the amps are starting to take over a lot of real estate and it would be good to switch it all up.

if anybody is interested in anything, i'd love to know about it :)

tomorrow during the day i'll be sitting down again with all of my stuff and re-assessing what i like and don't like, now armed with all these new opinions. tonight i'll spend doing some research on all the amps, figuring out what amp is based on what and where the similarities are.

any other comments? i'm all ears! thanks so much!

MesaManBoogie said:
Mark V with Matching cab and Roadster with Matching Cab and that's it.

I concur with this. More than enough tones are available out of these two heads to last a lifetime!

-AJH

If you might like a different amp for different tones/sounds, why not get something based on a Marshall type tone. I own a JSX and it's a great amp. Cleans are pristine and the drive tones are great; slightly compressed type drive tones, reall easy to play. Easy to dial in, it takes pedals really well and low bedroom volume is really good. Check youtube, go check a few out and make up your mind. I'd also check Carvin as well. These amps are a steal and really good value for money. More ideas for you to think about!

Whatever you do, just buy one!....lol

Here's links of the JSX that I really like:

A JSX through a Mesa cab (pic shows a JSX cab but he states it's through a Mesa cab):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-en8Jnab7do and from the same guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIm3KPWFjOE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL Check the rest of his stuff, too.

Clean channel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT7XjR8ygXE

ok in my opinion, sell:

Mark V
Express 1x12
F-50
50 Cal
recto recording pre
1x10 subway cab
2x12 horizontal recto

these are all great amps, but it's my opinion...this will cut it by almost half.

if you don't want to sell the mark V then keep both marks.

scott

Blaklynx said:

KEEP??: express 5:50 1x12 (for a nice plug and play, carry around, not too big, not too heavy, low volume bedroom jam type of amp)

CABS

I think you're emotionally attached to these amps. Once you sell some, you'll feel better. Break free.

haha. i haven't even gone down to read other peoples post when i started a list in my head. then i read your list and it's 95% the same as mine. cool! or creepy... :lol: the only thing different is in my list, keep the studio pre and fifty/fifty...

geetar_geek79 said:
Blaklynx said:

CABS

haha. i haven't even gone down to read other peoples post when i started a list in my head. then i read your list and it's 95% the same as mine. cool! or creepy... :lol: the only thing different is in my list, keep the studio pre and fifty/fifty...

Cool.... or creepy? THAT is the question. It's a bit too Twilight Zone-ish for me.....lol

well today was fun. i had the day free to sit down and fiddle and tweak with all of these guys to decide what i need to keep around, and to let go of what i know i can live without. some of the results were surprising to me. i knew i had my favorites going in, but now its nice to come out of all this knowing my equipment (and my own personal tastes) a little bit more intimately.

i decided to leave the rectos out for now, as i figured they would be in their own class of sound and would make for easier comparing after the fact. check out what i did, and how i felt. maybe this could help someone out who's considering getting into any of these amps but doesnt have the luxury of hearing them next to each other..

MKIV vs MKV
i ran these up against each other side by side each with a 2x12 cab with v30s. one was vertical slant, and the other horizontal, but at these 'medium' volumes i tested at i dont think the differences will be huge. the MK4 sounds very '90s' to me, and rightfully so. i love the sounds i can get out of it, but there is certainly something left to be wanted, especially in the middle RHY2 channel. the bottom end just isn't there, and the gain structure in that particular channel is almost useless to me. i never was one to use it much to begin with, but tweaking around with the MK5 made me realize what a 3 channel amp should be. the clean channel on the 5 is definitely miles ahead of the 4, too. the super gain channels can be debated over and over, but for me i managed to get them pretty close to each other, so along with all the power options and multiple modes, the 5 wins. the MKIV is officially FOR SALE.

MK5 vs Studio Preamp (and fifty/fifty)
i had heard when i bought the studio pre that it was based loosely on the MKIIC, but not the +. for the entry level price i got it at i figured why not? same cabinets were used here as above. the biggest downfall to the studio pre is the single row of knobs to be split among both channels - it's automatically out for live use. furthermore, the fact that it needs another 2U in rackspace for a poweramp makes its a studio only piece. however, i have to say, this silly little contraption does the master of puppets thing very very well. the MK5 delivers a lot of gain, but never does it have that '80s' feel to it. this preamp even smells like the 80s. the cleans are OK (definitely nothign to scoff at) but i will likely keep this preamp on the lead channel indefinitely for the rest of its time here. UNDECIDED.

Studio Preamp (fifty/fifty) vs .50 Cal
same cabs again. i figured these two were the most alike do to the one row of knobs, 2 channel, and their supposed mark heritage. i can really here the EL84s making a difference here. the cleans in the 50 cal are EXCELLENT, albeit a bit marshall for my tastes. i found tweaking the MK5 a bit on its clean mode, bold disengaged, and the proper EQ will get me close enough to match the clean on this one. the dirty channel on this 50 cal is useless to me. way too middy, and no GEQ on this head to compensate. i also HATE the multiple volume knobs on this and the studio pre that i have never fully figured out. a great amp nonetheless, but i've got no use for it. FOR SALE.

Express 5:50 vs F-50 Head
this time i used the combos speaker MC90 on the 5:50, and an open back 1x12 cab that i had that has the same speaker. i expected a bit more bottom out of the express combo, due to the cabinet size and build. i was right to an extent. the express's cleans are lovely, but a bit one sided. the contour feature on this amp does very little to wow me for any kind of usable sound. why accent the lows and highs if the mids wont cut through a mix? the cleans on the F50 were surprisingly VERY close to the express. i found the lows to be a bit less focused here, but that could be due to the cabinet. either way, the addition of the bright pull on the F50 introduced a different animal to this channel, which i found very useful. i dont really use the PUSHED option on any of my amps, so the fact that the 5:50 has one means little to me. the dirty channel on the 5:50 is nice, but it can be done with most other amps. the gain structure on the F50, however, is entirely different from almost everything else to me. it is just straight up wicked! i was sold on keeping the F50 as soon as i heard this channel alone - until i figured out how to clone it on my MK5. yup, thats right. channel 2, Mark I mode, lots of gain, scoop some mids, engage the THICK switch, and there it is... plus i've still got the MK5's GEQ to tweak futher! great sounds, but i've already got them in the MK5. BOTH ARE FOR SALE.

MKV vs Nomad 45
this is far form a perfect comparison, because the vertical 2x12 i used on the 5 has the c30s in it, and the nomads cabinet is loaded with 2 MC90s. however, i found it hard to compare the nomad to anything i've got, because of its tubes, combo size, etc. i figured i'd put the 3 channel im not sure about against the 3 channel i know im keeping. what a fun test this was! i can definitely understand the sonic differences between the 6L6s and the EL84s now. i think that this nomad needs new tubes, as i found it breaking up a bit in between solo notes (sort of like listening to a bad synth) but only here and there. other than that, this guy SCREAMS. seriously surprised a 45 watter can sound so tough next to the mighty MKV with double the power. the clean on the nomad is fine, nothing close to the 5, but the second and third channels have a lunacy all their own. i guess the fairest comparison is to take a MKV and put el84's in it :). the end result is great. due to the condition of this amp, i might keep it around as my beater/take to the bar/backup amp. i have heard the nomad 100's are 6L6 powered and have a GEQ... i definitely want to sit down with one of those! KEEPING.

well, i'm not actually sure if anybody will be reading this at all, but i needed to get my opinions off my chest and out of my fingers. in a little while i'll sit with the recto's and have a true plan set for what's staying, and what's not. thanks again for all your help!

A most excellent review according to what you hear. Of course, others will have their opinions of what these amps sounds like to them. It's your ears and you are the judge and jury. It's good to see that you're narrowing down and zeroing in. When it comes to crunch time (no pun inteneded), don't get too emotional. Yes, it's 'sad' to see one of your babies go but hang in there. You'll feel a weight off your shoulders as it certainly seems to have been bothering you for some time.

With some cash flow, buy what you need to be constructive and creative with your music. That's more important than having a heap of 'similar' amps lying around. Move forward.

Await the next installment....

...and here's the second half. as it turns out, my lesson cancelled for this evening, so i had some time to finish up my comparisons.

roadster vs recto recording pre (fifty/fifty)
i ran both of these through the 2x12 c30 cabs. the cleans across the board seemed very close to call, so i dont have much to comment on here. they are both GREAT cleans, but they weren't terribly different to me. the tweed options pushed the power section a bit more, which obviously is no comparison with the roadster. the dirty
channels were hard to compare. ive got 4 channels on the roadster, and 2 on the recto... ugh. i found that the closest gain structure was found in channel 3 of the roadster, but the gain staging was a bit different. it almost seemed to my ears that the 'modern' on the roadster was similar to the 'vintage' on the recto. no big deal. even though i felt i got the gain structures close to each other, the recto preamp definitely was doing something much differently than the roadster. it had a bit more of a 'scooped' sound to it, which was really something i couldn't get out of the roadster. hmmmmmmmmm, lets pull out the single rec...

single rectoverb vs recording pre (fifty/fifty)
although the rectoverb is a 1x12 combo, i knew that the huge build of the cabinet and the 3/4 back-nature made the combo a little hard to compare to. instead, i ran it through the 2x12 horizontal. once again, the cleans are very close for comfort between the two. i've always been incredibly fond of the clean out of this particular amp, and i could tell from this test that the 1x12 combo definitely adds more bottom and warmth. no matter, onto the dirties. this single recto had that same similar 'scooped' sound that the recto pre had, but it seemed to do it just a little better. once i switched over to the preamp i found an immediate loss in presence. it was almost like a stale version of the same circuitry. i had read that the recording pre was based off a dual rectifier, but the gain structures seems to interact exactly the same way as the rectoverb, which is of course single rec based. i found the 'modern' mode too buzzy in the rectoverb (as i always have), but the vintage setting had just the right amount of nuts and sizzle. i'm definitely not sure of the fate of the recording pre, but i know i'm certainly KEEPING the rect-o-verb. i may even consider putting the chassis into a head, because the thing is just way too heavy to cart around - especially for a 1x12 50watter!

so it looks like this is my new lineup... i've included reasons why...

MKV - swiss army knife of the marks. emulates the F50, 50 cal, the good MKIV sounds, express, and still does its own modern thing.
Nomad - 'knockaround' version of the MKV for me. a little less powered, and a little less focused, but still worth every penny.
Roadster - swiss army knife of the recto series. maybe i should look into the road king for more possibilities?
Rectoverb - simpler recto, with less power, for the easier gigs. i also still stand by the idea that a dual rec cannot do what a single does, and vice versa.

both preamps are still a maybe for me, but at least they dont take up so much real estate in the house. i'm sure i'll decide soon what to do with them.

what a day!

first, i wanna say i'm speaking out of complete ignorance... i don't have much experience with any of these amps... i've had a .50 cal + combo for almost a year... i'm happy...

my personal opinion is that either you've got WAY too many amps, even if you sell the ones you're talking about, or you should keep them all... i'm kind of a one woman man :) sorry, i grew up playing punk rock through horrible peavey solid state practice amps... i've always been about doing what i can with what i got... so my .50 cal is a total blessing... i'll probably never sell it, and i see no reason to upgrade... i can totally deal with everything this amp does... on the other hand, i can understand, especially from your point of view as somebody who runs a studio, why you would have/need all these different amps... not everybody is as easy going as me when it comes to tone... so my question is, if you bothered to get all these amps in the first place, why do you feel like you need to get rid of them? comparing one amp to another doesn't seem to be appropriate in this case... maybe YOU think one amp is "better" than another one, but maybe somebody that's gonna record at your studio likes the other one... it seems to me you're a little too worried about how the idea of having all those boogies sits in the minds of other people...

all i can say is that if i had the kind of skrilla it takes to buy all those amps, i probably would have some fenders and marshalls, etc. in the mix, but that's just me... if i'm a tone-hunter at all, it's not the subtleties i'm after... i like big differences... to me, all your amps probably sound like boogies :) i know boogies don't sound like fenders or marshalls... i have no idea what the big difference between a rectoverb and a recto pre in a 50/50 would be... they're both boogies, right? hehe...

just a thought....

Latest posts

Back