I have tone ADD

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMesa

Reaction score
Anyone else suffer from this? I am constantly buying, selling, swaping, trading, etc... amps, pedals, guitars, etc... in search of "my" tone. It's like a disease....like...EJitis. So now I have decided to sell off all my stomboxes (they are all BOSS anyways) since I never used or liked many of them. It was impossible to use a lot of effects with the boxes on like cleans and then go into a heavy riff when playing live. Just cant tap dance that fast without falling over! So I ended up only using the noise gate and chorus mainly. Hate the BOSS RV-5 reverb, it just plain sucks ***. The delay was good but got tired of having to set it all the time for different applications.....ANYWAY so this is my new quest and what I'm going to buy from the money I make from selling my pedals.

I am going with a rack FX unit, either the GMajor or the Xpression. haven't researched either enough to make a decision yet. I know I'll get the Rocktron Midimate controller. I also will be getting a couple of pedals but only special ones! I am going to get an overdrive pedal, right now looking at the Robert Keeley TS9, and a MXR equalizer.

So any thoughts? recommendations? am I stupid or is this a good direction? I've never used rack FX before but it seems like my next logical step to getting the tone I want.

BigMesa said:
Anyone else suffer from this? I am constantly buying, selling, swaping, trading, etc... amps, pedals, guitars, etc... in search of "my" tone. It's like a disease....like...EJitis. So now I have decided to sell off all my stomboxes (they are all BOSS anyways) since I never used or liked many of them. It was impossible to use a lot of effects with the boxes on like cleans and then go into a heavy riff when playing live. Just cant tap dance that fast without falling over! So I ended up only using the noise gate and chorus mainly. Hate the BOSS RV-5 reverb, it just plain sucks ***. The delay was good but got tired of having to set it all the time for different applications.....ANYWAY so this is my new quest and what I'm going to buy from the money I make from selling my pedals.

I am going with a rack FX unit, either the GMajor or the Xpression. haven't researched either enough to make a decision yet. I know I'll get the Rocktron Midimate controller. I also will be getting a couple of pedals but only special ones! I am going to get an overdrive pedal, right now looking at the Robert Keeley TS9, and a MXR equalizer.

So any thoughts? recommendations? am I stupid or is this a good direction? I've never used rack FX before but it seems like my next logical step to getting the tone I want.

Bro , you are so not alone here. I had been through so many different amps and preamps in search of the perfect tone. UNTILL I FINALLY SPENT THE CASH and got my TRIAXIS/ 2:90 and the quest was OVER!!!! I don't even use any effects because I just love the raw tone of this combination. Good luck in your quest bro.

i use a Stiletto with a TC Gmajor.the gmajor can change channels on the amp with its built in relays .a big plus for me.as far as an overdrive i use an Xotic BB pre. and to control everything i usea Behrringer FCB 1010 it has 2 expression pedals.all in all its a pretty good set up

fbomb said:
i use a Stiletto with a TC Gmajor.the gmajor can change channels on the amp with its built in relays .a big plus for me.as far as an overdrive i use an Xotic BB pre. and to control everything i usea Behrringer FCB 1010 it has 2 expression pedals.all in all its a pretty good set up

That's close to my setup as well. I have an Axess CFX4 to control the 4 channels of my Roadster and use the G-Major's relays for the Solo and Loop triggers. This is all managed with a Behringer FCB1010, phantom powered. If needed I could use one of the relays in the FCB1010 for the reverb trigger, but the reverb is so nice on this Recto I always leave it on (nice to have a reverb level for each channel too 8) ).

My base rhythm tone is ch 4 modern, loop switched out for pure Recto Growl, with some of that great onboard spring reverb. I use the FCB1010's pedal A for modulation speeds, delay swells etc. and pedal B is a master volume pedal for silent tuning with the G-Major. With the Ossandust EPROM in the FCB1010 http://mysite.verizon.net/resoamqr/swellsoundelectronics/index.html
and the Ripwerx FCB1010 Editor Ripwerx FCB1010 Editor I have ridiculous control over my rig.

Dom

Bigmesa, having tone add is what got me started in building handcrafted boutique effects and tube amp repair/modification for a job/business.

Why not just work in a field that I'll never get tired of? I'm pretty sure that's why most of us go into the biz doing what we do. It's one gig that if you don't like what's available, and you have the time, education, experience and the funds..make a better "wheel".

For the shameless plug (for us and the dealer), here's our newest:

http://www.customguitargear.com/hipkitty-creamdistortion.html

Long live gear addiction!

Latest posts

Back