I have Stiletto Ace Combo, I need some reverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swifticus

Reaction score
Hey gang,

New guy to Mesa and the board. I'm in desperate need of some insight.

I love how the amp sounds, but I'd love some nice warm reverb to really fill in some space, you know?

I had a Holy Grail, but man was that noisy (and it broke!)

Then I got a BOSS FDR-1 ('65 reverb), but it sucks my tone and the gain makes the Stiletto sound tinny.

So...are there any good pedals in the $200 range that someone can recommend?

I play Rock and Metal and some trippy stuff as well, so I've got the overdrive covered. I just need some 'verb.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Were you running your reverb pedals in the loop or in front of t he amp?

I use a Holy Grail + in the loop of my Deuce and it is fine....not noisy.

In front of the amp. I'm not really sure how to run effects through the loop. Do I just plug it in and then the return goes to my pedal board? I always thought you needed a rack for that kind of thing.

Sorry if this is basic stuff, but how does that effect the sound just by going in through the back?

I believe best place for the reverb is in the loop, last in the loop if I remember correctly. The loop does make a big difference sometimes so try it before you sell your pedals. On the back of the amp, go from send to the input on your pedal, and the output of your pedal into return on the back of the amp. The pain is now you've got effects running from your guitar - amp, AND effects running loop to effects so you have to run some extra long chords.

I run an EQ through my effects loop so to keep down on the muck I put the EQ pedal on top of my amp and run 2 short patch chords to the send/return of the effects loop. I leave it on all of the time so don't have to mess with it. I would also like some reverb but am trying to keep the pedal count down, so I keep a quick slapback delay with a faint repeat or two on all of the time which helps broaden the sound.

swifticus said:
In front of the amp. I'm not really sure how to run effects through the loop. Do I just plug it in and then the return goes to my pedal board? I always thought you needed a rack for that kind of thing.

Sorry if this is basic stuff, but how does that effect the sound just by going in through the back?

Send from the back of your amp goes to the input on the pedal. The output from the pedal goes to return on the amp. Set the level on the amp to about 2:00 (that is where I find the best result)

Make sure your loop isnt bypassed.

I just got a Holy Grail and I hated it in front of the amp. In the loop, though, it sounds sweet.

+1 on Mr. Springgy. I can't say enough about that reverb pedal. Amazing! Best I've ever heard from a pedal.

Delay, flanger, chorus, reverb tend to sound better in the loop. Distortion and wah-wahs in front.
I've read where some guys go to the extreme of miking their amp, then running that signal into their time-based effects (delay, chorus, etc.), then into a separate "wet-sound-only" amp.
I paid less than $40 for a used (they don't make 'em anymore) Zoom 507 reverb pedal with the adapter. It has four room, four hall, four plate reverbs, four combination delay/reverbs, you can add chorus (tho' it's not very adjustable), AND there's a built-in tuner. Very under-rated and it sounds much better than the Boss or Digitech pedals, and is just as tweakable. You can even plug in an expression pedal to control the reverb level. Got to try the Holy Grail someday...

A Boss RV-5 in the loop sounds awesome. Use all of you time based pedals in the loop and you will get the most tone out of your amp & pedals.

definatly the holy grail. i've used a few reverbs, and its the best of the ones i could afford.

i run mine through the loop along with my noise suppressor, delays and flange

Line6 Verbzilla is very versatile and has a few unique sounds that most others don't have. Highly recommended in the loop.

Back