I have a chance to buy a Stiletto Tri for $875 shipped but

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Reaction score
.... in stock form they are lacking in the tone dept. I played a couple of the original series at Guitar Center and couldn't get a good sound out of it to save my life. It was thin and brittle..... this is after tweeking for 1/2 hour, changing cabinets and guitars trying to figure out what the problem was :(

My only hope would be that different tubes would add some girth to the tone. I would probably go for it if I could find out what the mods were, ( I can easily mod the amp myself ).

$875 is tempting just to try it out and see if I can get it dialed in. Do you guys think it is worth the risk ? :?:

Hard to recommend an amp you've tried and didn't like. The tubes are not going to change the amp that much.

Dr. Tweedbucket said:
.... in stock form they are lacking in the tone dept. I played a couple of the original series at Guitar Center and couldn't get a good sound out of it to save my life. It was thin and brittle..... this is after tweeking for 1/2 hour, changing cabinets and guitars trying to figure out what the problem was :(

My only hope would be that different tubes would add some girth to the tone. I would probably go for it if I could find out what the mods were, ( I can easily mod the amp myself ).

$875 is tempting just to try it out and see if I can get it dialed in. Do you guys think it is worth the risk ? :?:

I have a series I . No problems tweaking it for me .

Dr. Tweedbucket said:

You should try the Series II if you didn't like the first versions.

IMO, at $875, it's definitely worth a shot. If it doesn't work, you can probably sell it back for a small profit.

.... in stock form they are lacking in the tone dept. I played a couple of the original series at Guitar Center and couldn't get a good sound out of it to save my life. It was thin and brittle..... this is after tweeking for 1/2 hour, changing cabinets and guitars trying to figure out what the problem was

I gotta say it, either you are tone deaf or just dumb! Because I have found great tones out of this amp, even when I thought it was a shitty amp!

"I gotta say it, either you are tone deaf or just dumb! Because I have found great tones out of this amp, even when I thought it was a sh!t amp!"

:oops: :shock: :cry: :mrgreen:

If I don't like the tone from any amp, even if it's just for $10 I wouldn't buy it. Pretty simple.

I get great tones out of my Stiletto Trident series 1 - just have to dial it in!!!

Bluesman said:
.... in stock form they are lacking in the tone dept. I played a couple of the original series at Guitar Center and couldn't get a good sound out of it to save my life. It was thin and brittle..... this is after tweeking for 1/2 hour, changing cabinets and guitars trying to figure out what the problem was

I gotta say it, either you are tone deaf or just dumb! Because I have found great tones out of this amp, even when I thought it was a sh!t amp!
Dude, it's just that I have an ear for quality tone (Hiwatt, Dr. Z, original 2 ch Dual Rec ect... are amps I currently own and play). So far the Stiletto's ( 2 series 1 and 1 series 2) sounded like crap. That is after tweeking for a half an hour, switching guitars and cabs (at the store). All I can say is I would hope tubes would make a major difference, but it's usually minor rather than major. My only hope is to buy one, take it home, swap tubes, play with my guitars and through my cabs.... if it comes around, fine !! if not, I can always take it back to the store. I really WANT to like the amp .... it is the coolest looking thing I've ever seen !!!

enigma said:
If I don't like the tone from any amp, even if it's just for $10 I wouldn't buy it. Pretty simple.

I get great tones out of my Stiletto Trident series 1 - just have to dial it in!!!

I don't know...... what scares me is everyone seems to think the series 1 needs to be modded to sound good .... and this one I was looking at is a series 1.

Like someone else said, just buy it, if I don't like it I can resell it and at least break even :lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops: :oops:

:evil:

Dr. Tweedbucket said:
Bluesman said:

I gotta say it, either you are tone deaf or just dumb! Because I have found great tones out of this amp, even when I thought it was a sh!t amp!
Dude, it's just that I have an ear for quality tone (Hiwatt, Dr. Z, original 2 ch Dual Rec ect... are amps I currently own and play). So far the Stiletto's ( 2 series 1 and 1 series 2) sounded like crap. That is after tweeking for a half an hour, switching guitars and cabs (at the store). All I can say is I would hope tubes would make a major difference, but it's usually minor rather than major. My only hope is to buy one, take it home, swap tubes, play with my guitars and through my cabs.... if it comes around, fine !! if not, I can always take it back to the store. I really WANT to like the amp .... it is the coolest looking thing I've ever seen !!!

How loud are you playing it? You cannot expect a 150W head to sound good at modest levels.. just way too much power to blow through, you're only getting preamp distortion which is thin and dry on the Stiletto. Try activating the FX loop and cranking the channel volumes.. then use the output knob as your master volume. You'll want a 4x12 with it as well. You should look into a deuce with something more realistic (even though 100W is still ridiculous). Did you try the 50 W mode on the Trident?

Tubes aren't going to change the world.

Hey Dr. Tweed, sorry to offend you. But I agree that you have to turn the master volume up and control your volume with the output.

Bluesman said:
Hey Dr. Tweed, sorry to offend you. But I agree that you have to turn the master volume up and control your volume with the output.

No offense taken :lol: :lol:

That was a good point.... I probably need to crank it and it was hard to do in the store. The amp is sold anyway now so I will have to wait for another :(

Dr. Tweedbucket said:
Bluesman said:

No offense taken :lol: :lol:

That was a good point.... I probably need to crank it and it was hard to do in the store. The amp is sold anyway now so I will have to wait for another :(

That was def your problem then, you HAVE to play it loud.

Back