I hate Competition BUT hoW.bout MY 2C+ vs. FUCHS OD SUP?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelyzappa

Reaction score
YESTERDAY, I decided to listen to the MPG’s or whatever from the FUCHs website. I just had to listen “over the net” to the famous FUCHs amp;the "FUCHS Overdrive Supreme" (part-Dumble clone). THe FUCH’s wesite has some interesting "video's with sound" (MPG’s?) that are fast and easily downloaded....I thought the amp had an interesting tone...mind you I'm using my laptop speakers to listen...but I'm still impressed. One of my prized 2 or 3 "keeper amps" I have is an ’83 Mark 2C sim/rev/eq that Mike B. converted to a 2C+...and he did a great job...I’VE RAMBLED LONG ENOUGH!....lol....The Question IS::::WHY DOES LISTENNNING THE AMPS DEMO’s IMPRESS ME AND MAKE ME WONDER IF MY AMP CAN DO SOME OF THOSE THINGS THAT WELL?????...LIKE THE INTERESTING CONTROLLED FEEDBACK where THE "FED-BACK" NOTE SEEMED TO HAVE GREAT HARMONIC DETAIL.....CAN MINE SOUND AS TWANGY AS THAT ONE CLEAN DEMO W/TWANG SOUNDED???....

steelyzappa,

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread, but can you comment on your C to C+ conversion? How did it change the tone? Do you feel the upgrade cost was worth it?

BTW - as you can probably tell, I have a C. And, getting back to your post, I'll add that my C can sustain for days and has great harmonic content - I hope I don't lose that if I decide to upgreade to a C+.

I have a Mark I and play a lot of Acid Jazz/Santana/African type music.
I love my Mark I but to get the sound I like (which is basically the Santana sound) it has to be turned up to at least 5 otherwise, you only get that fuzzy preamp distortion. It sustain but it is fuzzy and not "clean" if you get my drift. In other word, it has to be played really really loud to give me that specific sound I like. (I tried THD plate but it thins the sound)

Apparently the FUCHS ODS (I am looking ata the 30 W), can be dialed in low and still give you great sustain, creamy distortion a la aSantana, without the fuzz and scratchiness, that you would otherwise get with Mark I dialed in at 2 for example.
I am seriously looking into it and will try one next week.
My settings on the Mark I reissue are
Vol1 7
Vol2 7
Mast 2
Treble 7
Bass 3
Mid 9

the few clips i've heard of a fuchs i have REALLY liked. it has a smooth mid-quality to it that appeals to me. very santanaish but with a unique twist. if you're looking for some clips of it right now, go to youtube.com and some kid posted videos of him playing it. sounded exactly like the others. also on the prs website there's a clip of a mccarty guitar into a fuchs. note how the beautiful cleans are just from volume roll off!

also when i get home i have some jazz player with tons of clips saved on a link.

I do KNOW that my Mark 2C+ has EXCLUSIVE virtues that make it unique...i.e...razor-sharp/clean or dirty/tone separation between notes of a solo or chord....depending...mild dist via channel ONE and with the click of the footswitch....The baddest *** ....driving and powerful....LEAD distortion I’ve ever heard the likes of!!!. The power AND headroom to play beautifully cleanly etc. with it’s own interesting “flavor” and virtues which I’m quite sure the Dumble lacks some of...AND then to really throw the monkey wrench in...LOL...I’d really have to have both amps in person....face to face...for at least a month....to make a comprehensive AND totally subjective-in-a-sense-assessment of Pro’s and Con’s of each...what is weird and not meant to say anything demeaning about the FUCH’s...I had this kind of cool “harmonic overdrive” 100...something DOD pedal that made similar harmonic “overdrive” sounds....clean or overdriven by pedal itself via it’s “virtual” tube inside (it realllly doesn’t have one)...I think THAT pedal INADVERTENTLY “resembles” the overdrive sounds of the FUCHs mpg’s on most overdrive CLIPS (not the twang clips!...those were supa cool...and i haven’t even tried to dial in the TWANG sound clips I heard...on my boogie...but I’m betting my 2C+ can pull it off...not for sure though). I was saying my DOD FX100 ...(i just remembered) ...”EVEN harmonic overdrive pedal” may become another great Dumble-ish Overdrive supreme IN A BOX!!!!!...and you can get em on eBay for 40-70 bucks ALL DAY LONG...that’s what I sold my NEWish in box one for (60)... but after hearing that FUCHs on my audiophile laptop...(NOT)...I want my DOD pedal BACK!!!

Should you upgrade your 2C to a 2C+???....lol----....read previous threads going as far back as it will (for this topic)...and there seemed like to me...almost all in favor of the 2C+....SORTA including me....NOW Since the upgrade i do think MY 2C+ “conversion” sounds smoother...more round....will less of a "raspy or rough" overdrive characteristics...the upgrade will change the sound to a smoother amp....at the expense of a rougher raspier overdrive which some people like too:p?...to make matters worse...there were a lot less of the ORIGINAL 2C's produced before “+” was added. Now if some cat plays his 2C and gets "noticed"...now the original 2C's are worth more than the 2C+'s? ....Life is a gamble.

As Nancy’s "psychic" 1st LADY advice reads- JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! (It can be “undone”)....

...Mike B. as i semi-recollect told me on the phone that I could have my 2C+ restored to its previous 2C status!...(the PCB boards were the same for both amps)...of course it would probably cost about the same 350-400 bucks (with shipping included) that I remember paying for my C+ upgrade!

Boogie Babies,

Good man - a Mac AND MESA/Boogie User!!!!

:lol: :lol:

BWK

"I can use Amplitube and Garage Band and ....."

Don't forget that you can find a nice Music Man or Fender silverface and have Andy make a Fuchs out of it. All he keeps is the chassis, tube sockets, transformer, etc. He really likes MM stuff, that's how he got started. I lust after a Fuchs, but won't part with my blackface Bandmaster to get one, and can't afford one anyway. .50 cal suits me just fine, for now, if I switch between it and the BMaster with a Tubester overdrive. 8)

You could save a lot of cash by just buying a Hermida Zen Drive - gives you very close to the same sound as a Dumble/Fuchs overdrive for 180 clams. Accoridng to Alf it does this with crappy amps, so through your Mesa you should be fine.

Only downside is the long waiting list for one - I'm still waiting for mine.

Latest posts

Back