I got my Tremoverb!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubescreamer

Reaction score
I am now the happy owner of a 97' Tremoverb with a 2x12 Recto cab. I actually chose this recto based on the reccomendations on this site, but I never posted anything - so I guess this is also my hello!

The guy I purchased it from loaded it with new tubes right before I bought it. All mesa, with the 6L6's and 5U4GB's, along with 5 SPAX7-A's. With some quck reading I learned that the SP tubes are only used in the V1 position... so is there anything wrong with the way this baby is tubed? I do have some extra money left and would be able to buy tubes that are better suited in the preamp?

Thanks Guys!
Neil

Is there anything wrong with having all sp12ax-7's in my amp?

I've noticed that the Modern channel has gotten much more fizzy and unusable. I'm guessing its a tube issue, so can anyone offer me the best idea for replacement? Which preamp tubes control the second (red) channel?

There is really nothing wrong with running all SPAX7's. They are just further selected for noise and microphonics. If they are the newer ones then they have the rubber tube protectors on them too. The tubes are fine for use anywhere but it becomes a taste issue. Do you like the sound of your amp? You might try some other brands. Different preamp tubes will affect your sound. The composition and structure of the tube have a lot to do with the way a tube sounds. The various tubes will have differing gain levels and subtle tonal differences because of how they are made. For that matter some tubes though identical will sound slightly different too just because of the tube itself. Try swapping your preamp tubes around one at a time first taking note of which sounds best in V1 first. If you don't find one amongst the tubes you have buy a separate but different manufacturer's preamp tube and swap it into V1. If you like the change then it is just a matter of figuring out what you like in the rest of the sockets. The reason I say start with V1 is because it is the first tube to receive the signal and the most important in shaping your tone/gain levels. You are entering into a realm that can get very expensive once you begin to find taste for certain tubes.

Back