I Finally Discovered My Road King II

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CudBucket

Reaction score
I got my RKII about 10 months ago and never really spent real time with it till today. I wasn't happy with the tone I was getting and so I pulled it off my rack along with one of the cabs I use. I built the two 2x12 cabs I use with it.

I took time and went through each mode on each channel for the first time. I even read the manual cover to cover a couple of days ago and learned a ton about my amp.

I never got this impression before today but the tone controls are way more sensitive and effective then I'd previously thought. Man, the cleans really are stupid-good on this amp and the gain is extremely brutal or even Brit-crunchy if you want. I played it through a cab with an Eminence Tonker and Swamp Thang in it. These are thick and clear sounding speakers. I think I prefer V30s.

I think my cab is the cause of any bass-flub I'm hearing. I'm going to put some damping-foam in it before I change the speakers.

I tested with an EBMM Petrucci and then the guitar I built, my Egress. It has a Steve's Special and Air Norton in it. Not unlike the custom Dimarzios in my Petrucci.

I did learn one real wierd thing: I like the way my cab sounds from the back the best. What do you think that means?

Dave

CudBucket said:
I did learn one real wierd thing: I like the way my cab sounds from the back the best. What do you think that means?
is it related to the piercing highs you hear in front of it?

ytse_jam said:
CudBucket said:

I wouldn't call them piercing but they are a bit harsh. It could be that I need to break them in. But, yeah, you're on the right track.

i hear if you put a cross on the grill in the middle of the speaker it will cancel some of the higher frequencies since thats where they come out of-the middle fo the speaker

CudBucket said:
ytse_jam said:
CudBucket said:

I wouldn't call them piercing but they are a bit harsh. It could be that I need to break them in. But, yeah, you're on the right track.

Either buy some Weber Beam Blockers (www.tedweber.com) or put a square of duct tape on the grill right in the center of each speaker. Works like a charm to get rid of some of that bright trebly stuff!

I was planning to try that. Tonight, I'm going to put some damping material in there.

Latest posts

Back