i fancy a IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NiCkMiLnE

Reaction score
so yep, i fancy a iv, and think the combo would be more practical to me, are the combo's jsut as good?

also, can i coax a tight, heavy metal tone AND petrucci like lead tone from one?

lastly, are the cleans a good as the new 5:50, the 5:50 stunned me with the cleans, gorgeous!

much luv
nick :D

I purchased a Mark III 1x12 Combo just about a month back. Maybe not even that long. Anyhow, I'm loving it. I just built a headshell to get the wood/wicker look (without the immense hit on my wallet) and to ease the weight of transporting the amp. The most surprising thing is that I'm prefering the sound of the amp through its original 1x12 combo cabinet and not through my 4x12 Rectifier cab. Go figure...I guess its just that the 4x12 is a bit too boomy for the amp. It is the bigger "Standard" cab after all. Keeping the 1x12 on the ground and not being hit with sound coming from speakers aimed directly at me is helping too.

After my initial experiences with this Mark III I've got, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a combo. I think I'd prefer the combination of a head and a 1x12 or 2x12 cab though just to make it easier to transport. I'm looking into a 1x12 Thiele cab people around here keep raving about.

I tried for a LONG time to get both a metal rhythm tone and a shredder type lead tone out of the IV. It never happened. It's either one or the other. So I picked up a 2ch Triple Rec for metal rhythm and keep the IV for cleans and leads. The best part is that I can keep the graphic EQ as a boost. I like the Triple Rec clean too so I can have 5 completely distinct channels. I'm basically in heaven now. I even dialed in a pretty cool slightly dirty R2.

Oh yeah, I use the Radial ABY to stop ground loops and it works great. Everything else I tried was horribly noisy. (Morley, Whirlwind, ART)

Rufuss Sewell said:
I tried for a LONG time to get both a metal rhythm tone and a shredder type lead tone out of the IV. It never happened. It's either one or the other. So I picked up a 2ch Triple Rec for metal rhythm and keep the IV for cleans and leads. The best part is that I can keep the graphic EQ as a boost. I like the Triple Rec clean too so I can have 5 completely distinct channels. I'm basically in heaven now. I even dialed in a pretty cool slightly dirty R2.

Oh yeah, I use the Radial ABY to stop ground loops and it works great. Everything else I tried was horribly noisy. (Morley, Whirlwind, ART)

i do the same thing but with a mk III instead of the dual rec.. and i run them both into one cab with a radial VT headbone to

NiCkMiLnE said:
well i could use an eq or od pedal to boost so they differ..but hmm

For me I really loved the metal tone I could get out of the Mark IV, but it sucked for solos. I just couldn't achieve a boost. I like the EQ dramatically scooped for rhythm so I couldn't use the EQ for boost. Basically I just had to reach over and turn up the amp before solos.

But now I keep the EQ off most of the time and just use the EQ to make the channels louder. Still a V though. The best part is I can have a quiet lead when necessary too.

Rufuss Sewell said:
NiCkMiLnE said:
well i could use an eq or od pedal to boost so they differ..but hmm

For me I really loved the metal tone I could get out of the Mark IV, but it sucked for solos. I just couldn't achieve a boost. I like the EQ dramatically scooped for rhythm so I couldn't use the EQ for boost. Basically I just had to reach over and turn up the amp before solos.

I used to have that problem. The Mark IV sounds infinately better with the EQ, whenever I try to record or play without it I don't like the over-bearing mids it produces.

Once I bought my TS9 Baked mod however, all of my solo-boosting woes went out of the window. I can dial in the perfect rhythm tone with EQ, then just dial in the rest with the TS9 for solo boosts. The Mark IV sounds brilliant with the TS9, it just gives it oodles more sustain and a thicker, chewier tone for soloing.

Back