I bought an Explorer

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Reaction score
I think I have owned most every major model of Gibson (still own Les Pauls) except the one I have always wanted. Now I found a good Explorer...it is alive acoustically and plays itself.

The pickups are bad (ceramic 500's) and will be replaced with a JB/Pearly Gates combo.

Pics:

P9080001.jpg

P9080002.jpg

P9080003.jpg

P9080004.jpg

looks nice dude, how old is it. I use to have a black '83 Explorer until the neck broke. They are Nice guitars. Enjoy!!

Nice axe...

Is it that you don't like the 500 or is the pickup failing?

I kind of like the 500 myself, but then again, I like lots of signal. For a passive, I don't think that it is half bad for OE. I like active EMG's too though.

I have left the 500's in my current Explorer and V's. I might be swapping to EMG's though in at least one V if not both someday. There again, I may swap the Explorer pickups too.

Have you heard the JB/Pearly Gates setup in an Explorer yet?

This being your first Explorer, have you noticed how big the HSC is? My Explorer cases have been the largest cases I have owned.

I t hink the Gibson Ceramics are very fizzy and unmusical sounding.

When I listen to the guitar acoustically my brain tells me that it needs a JB in the bridge, the Pearly gates is a bright sounding neck pickup that will also go well with th is guitar. Al Pitrelli uses JB's in his explorers and it works well.....I actually like the JB in all guitars made of Mahogany.

I have seen explorer cases in the past....I think they are kinda funny because of the huge size.

Impressive ... you bought an Explorer.
250px-95-98_Ford_Explorer.jpg

... so, probably not as impressive, I bought an Escape.
Escape_Incentive.jpg

Nice guitar, man! I use to have a black '93 or '94. Fun guitar to play! I wasn't real crazy about the stock pickups, though.

Best guitar shape in the world. I love my ESP explorer with EMG's in it. It's the perfect metal guitar...plays like a dream. I'd like to get a black gibby sometime and do it up like James Hetfield's "Rusty"

-AJH

Back