Huge volume boost when effects loop is turned off ??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tremayne007

Reaction score
the scenario. My rig consists of an "old school" digitech 2101 preamp/processor and a mark IVB, wah pedal, line6 DL4 (for looping) and a Maxxon OD9.

I am using the "four cable method" to effectively insert the digital effects into the Mark's effects loop.

To be clear, my signal chain goes:

guitar>wah>OD9>2101 preamp (consisting of compressor/EQ/analog distortion, no AD conversion yet) then out the line level effects loop send>MarkIV preamp>Mark's effects loop send>2101 effects loop return>2101 AD conversion/digital effects>DL4>Mark's effects loop return>power tubes>speaker.

wow it looks alot more complicated when written out :shock: ...

Everything works great. Loops are no longer effected by channel switching on my Mark. Much better tone than when I ran straight from the 2101 into the MarkIV input (obviously). Its very quiet. Only one problem.

If I turn off the effects loop on my MarkIV foot controller I get a HUGE boost to my signal, much louder than it should be at the volume settings I am running. A master volume 3 sounds like 7+!!! Way too much to be chalked up to some signal loss through AD conversion I would think.

any idea what might cause this :? ??

I was hoping to be able to simply turn off the loop to have a pure analog tone at times, but this is not workable given the extreme change in output.

Let me know if you have any insight. thanks!

Back