how to verify preamp tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackpiazza

Reaction score
Hello,
I think to have some microphonic preamp tubes, but I don't know how to verify them because back the chassis i can see just the final tubes...

i tryed to open the front of the chassis removing the 4 screws but i can't do it.. (is this the right way?)

can you please help me?

CALL MESA BOOGIE HELPLINE AND LEAVE A VOICE MAIL. THEY WILL CALL YOU BACK AND ASK THEM HOW TO DO IT THEN!

You can reach the preamp tubes from the back. Don't mess with the chassis unless you need to man..

Look at the back of the amp and remove the little cage over the power tubes . Then remove the power tubes, try to keep them in order and return them to their original socket . Once you have them out you will have better access to the preamp tubes . The preamp have silver colored sleeve over each of them , with your hand push up on the cap whilst turning left or counter clock wise , it will then release and expose the preamp tubes . Remove one of them (keep an eye on where the gap in the pins are as it will make it easier to line up the one you are replacing it with ) and put a new tube in its place then put all the power tubes back in and test amp to see if problem is fixed . You will need to follow this process until you find the bad tube , it is a timely process so be patient . If this seems confusing call mesa artist relations at 707 778 6565 PST Monday - Thursday

Microphonic issues can be caused my many things as well.
Too many electronics in the room
bad pickup wiring
Wonky patch chord
Pedal issue.

I would go through your rig one piece at a time and make sure it's not a simple fix first.

This may help you find the tube without having to do all the trial and error tube replacing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM2qWZYbInI

We need the symptoms. Microphonic tubes cause high-pitched ringing or squealing. It sounds like feedback, because that's what it is. Sometimes it can be lessened a bit by turning down the treble or gain, or both. This microphonic feedback can occur even without a guitar plugged in. You just have to crank the gain and/or treble and the squealing starts.
Always replace one tube at a time. Don't take them all out at once. Start with the tube closest to the input jack. Replace and test. Then move on to the next tube in the row if the problem persists. Rinse and repeat.
It's time consuming and there are no shortcuts, other than buying a Crate :D

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=48205

this link above is the thread posted yesterday talking about sintoms...

I'd try replacing it. Come in from the back, just take out the power tubes, remove V6 (see the manual--it's the small tube second closest to the fan on the left when you're facing the amp from behind), and swap in a spare 12ax7. Then put the power tubes back in their original spots.

You're asking how to verify pre-amp tubes. Tapping on them can sometimes reveal a problem. But it's an unreliable method. The best method is just to replace them. If a problem goes away after replacing a tube, then the tube was the problem. The second best method is to test the tube in a tube tester, but most of us don't have one of those lying around. Tapping a tube probably won't give you a false positive, but it might easily give you a false negative.

If you don't have a spare pre-amp tube, try this: Remove V2 (see the manual), and put it in V6. Now try to recreate the problem. Do not turn on channel 2. The V2 pre-amp tube is only used on channel 2, and so I suspect that the amp will work fine in channel 1 or 3 even if there's nothing plugged into V2. If the problem goes away, you found your culprit.

Alternatively, to play it safe, just put your current V6 tube in V2. If you find that you can now use the loop on channel 1 without problems, but now channel 2 squeals, you've found your culprit.

eudaimonia02912 said:
I'd try replacing it. Come in from the back, just take out the power tubes, remove V6 (see the manual--it's the small tube second closest to the fan on the left when you're facing the amp from behind), and swap in a spare 12ax7. Then put the power tubes back in their original spots.

You're asking how to verify pre-amp tubes. Tapping on them can sometimes reveal a problem. But it's an unreliable method. The best method is just to replace them. If a problem goes away after replacing a tube, then the tube was the problem. The second best method is to test the tube in a tube tester, but most of us don't have one of those lying around. Tapping a tube probably won't give you a false positive, but it might easily give you a false negative.

If you don't have a spare pre-amp tube, try this: Remove V2 (see the manual), and put it in V6. Now try to recreate the problem. Do not turn on channel 2. The V2 pre-amp tube is only used on channel 2, and so I suspect that the amp will work fine in channel 1 or 3 even if there's nothing plugged into V2. If the problem goes away, you found your culprit.

Alternatively, to play it safe, just put your current V6 tube in V2. If you find that you can now use the loop on channel 1 without problems, but now channel 2 squeals, you've found your culprit.

thank you!! I will try soon, and I'll let you know ;)

:(

I testet V1, V3, V6, V7 using V2 preamp and also a 12AX7 of my marshall amp and NOTHING resolved...

i'm very tired sad and angry now and dunno what to do....what the hell is wrong with my Mark? :cry: :evil:

Something tells me you may not have microphonic pre-amp tubes...this could be something else inthe signal chain that you are inserting.

Can you please let us know how you determined that it was microphonic tubes and what were the connections that were active (what wires/jacks were connected) when you hear that microphonic sound?

HeadlessAxeman said:
Something tells me you may not have microphonic pre-amp tubes...this could be something else inthe signal chain that you are inserting.

Can you please let us know how you determined that it was microphonic tubes and what were the connections that were active (what wires/jacks were connected) when you hear that microphonic sound?

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=48205

this link above is the thread posted one week ago talking about sintoms...

I don't have nothing connected: no guitar, no pedals, no jacks, only head&cab

Latest posts

Back