How to tell if speakers are re-coned?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viendette

Reaction score
So I want to buy this cab and it's a good deal. Is there a way to tell if the speakers are re-coned and or not original? Here are some pics what do you guys think? It's from a used shop and they have no info on it. (Tolex is a little beat up, but that's it)

Tricky, if not impossible without looking at the actual cones, and even better is looking at them in person..
Some observations from yr pics...AND these might be easily explained by the obvious difference in speaker model...
the top two have black gaskets, the bottom look lighter in colour
the top two look to have slightly smaller dust caps - but it might be an optical illusion from the pics

It's mainly a visual thing.. but also, if in doubt, SMELL the cones - do they smell old and dusty, or new with the odour of adhesive/glue etc - that's a dead give-away..

Also, old cones usually have a majority of dust on the surround gasket on the lower area - where gravity makes the dust settle. New(er) cones will look much more, or even completely, uniform as they haven't had time to accumulate dust yet.

Those tips should tell U almost instantly the age of the cones, and stamped numbers on the rear of the cones will help..
Good luck, Dave

Those speakers are freaky-clean considering the condition of the Tolex. Not that this means anything, it's just odd to have speakers in that good of condition for something from the late 80s. My EVs came with a lighter grey gasket and have aged to a lighter color, too, but I've giged the crap out of mine and my Tolex looks a million times better than that...but my speakers are bleached from sunlight, dust on the dope/speaker edge, and generally look like 25+ year old speakers. Maybe they took these out at the time of original purchase and have just put them back? Regardless, if the price is right, that's a killer cab.

Well I tested and it sounded great and nailed it for $200! :mrgreen: No complaints here, thanks for the input guys.

Good lord !
I think U "stole" it from him/them..
To ease your guilt, send me the rest of the payment and I just know you'll feel better.... LOL
BTW, congrats, and hope U have somewhere to wind it up and attain the sweet tones hidden therein..
DB

Latest posts

Back