how to keep strings clean/new?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out GHS Fast Fret... I had the same problem but now I use that stuff and wipe down with a microfiber cloth and I change my strings once every 2 months now... longer if I don't use that guitar as much.

+1 for GHS Fast Frett, I used to change strings every month and I was wiping down the strings after every use. Now that I have been using this product my strings really do last much longer while retaining their sound quality.
Art

I've been using this stuff called Dr. Stringfellows string cleaner and I like it a lot.

it's a cleaner and a lubricant. (for your strings lol)

I used to use GHS fast fret and started using the Stringfellows cleaner because a good friend recommended it and I haven't stopped using it since.

I usually wash my hands before I pick up my guitar. And that helps. Having dirty hands is more than enough to kill the strings.

I always clean my strings with a cloth everytime I play and it really does help to prolong the life of the strings a lot.

I use stainless strings now and the difference is HUGE compared to ordinary strings.

Give a stainless set a go they arent much more expensive and they really do last a lot longer.

Another vote for GHS fast fret. I wipe the guitar down with a T-Shirt and then use the fast fret and micro cloth. I still change my strings about every three weeks though.

Setzer said:
I always clean my strings with a cloth everytime I play and it really does help to prolong the life of the strings a lot.

I use stainless strings now and the difference is HUGE compared to ordinary strings.

Give a stainless set a go they arent much more expensive and they really do last a lot longer.

Yeah, but they also wear down frets a lot faster if they aren't SS as well.

i keep my strings clean with changing to a new set frequently when the old set is worn out.

i think that its not only dirt and fingergrip that damages a string, it also gets bruises at the frets and gets dumbtoned after a while from playing.

light transparent machine mineral oil should work out fine as a preservative.

stay tuned! ;-)

I usually wipe down my strings after playing, and wash my hands before I pick up the guitar. Some of the things that will kill strings the fastest is the dirt, grim, and oils from your hands. Also, try and keep your guitar in a medium dry environment. Moisture will kill the strings and your guitar.

firstly wd40 + rosewood/ebony/maple = bad for wood
because it's oil based it will get into the wood... not good
(probly won't destroy the guitar and the parts would be well lubricated.
but still wd40??)
I teach guitar every day and gig regularly so adding practice on top of that
clocks up like 40 hrs at least of use a week i'd say most guys that don't teach would clock up around at least 10-15 hrs a week? (just a guess)
thats more than enough over a 2 week period.
usually i would change my strings every 1-2 weeks. always a new set the day before a gig. by the end of the week they are dead
but i could just be really picky.

lighter fuel on a clean rag! gets the grease off and is cheap! But I always change before a gig, as no matter how often the strings are cleaned they stretch out and lose their intonation.

Lemon oil on a camel skin rub rag. let it sit, then use just a clean camel skin to wipe it down. you'd be amazed all the crap it gets off.

I don't soak the fret board with it, I just spray some on a clean cotton rag ( old shirt) and wipe down the strings. When I found out "Lemon Oil" is just mineral oil with lemon scent added, I thought what the hell. I have been using it for about 15 years on all my guitars and no problems, but I don't go crazy with the stuff. I think "Fast Fret", and other string cleaners are oil based as well.

Wipe em down, over and under after every use.

Emergency? Hehehehe.. piece of aluminum foil, fold it, put under string, fold up, then slide it back n forth several times whole length of string. It helps remove the gunk UNDER the string that will build up, "re-brightens" just a tad, and cleans overall (just enough). Great in a pinch..lol..

Is GHS Fast Fret like Finger Ease? I never used any of that stuff (was not even out when I started playing-lol), but tried it last month and it was awful. Icky film.

rabies said:
i tried the wipe down method after I practice with a towel or shirt.

does it really help?

It seems like I have to change my strings once every two weeks on two guitars if I practice every day for 1 hr or so...

anybody else experience this?

I have since my youth always leaned my guitars forward while taking a cottom ball dabbed NOT saturated , but excess squeezed out . Then I go up and down each string rotation the cottom ball until you hear that annoyingly squeaky clean
sound . If you wipe them down instead of " cleaning " them you would probably be taking life out of them as you would
be wiping dirt , body oils , and perspiration dry on the string . The reason I lean the guitar forward is if I do have too much
alchohol on the cotton ball the drop hits the floor and not the FB or Body .
/cheers

Latest posts

Back