How to get a thicker lead tone for my Mk V 25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingblade

Reaction score
I love my Mk V 25 but I just realized that the lead tone is a bit too edgy and rough on the high end for me (I used it mostly on the 2C+ mode). No matter how i tweak (EQ and knobs and modes) the edginess is still there so I'm thinking it is the characteristic of the amp to be like so.

Ideally I want my lead tone to be thick and creamy, not rough and dry on the top end. Do you think an overdrive boost (Tube Screamer, etc.) would thicken and smoother my tone?

I am living a place where pedals are not readily accessible to be tested so I am very interested in hearing what you guys think about overdrive boosting the lead channel.

Thanks y'all

What you want is...sorry you're not going to like this...bigger headroom and bigger iron. A 90W Mark V. Presto, thick tone.
That is really the main advantage of the 90W mode on the big V: not that it can get louder without breaking up when necessary but it will sound thicker and bigger at any volume.
(I said you were not going to like it :lol:)

You could try an EQ pedal. Other than that, I don't think a pedal is going to give you what you want. Rather, you could try a different cab or different speakers. A 4x12 is going to sound bigger than a similar 2x12 or a 1x12 no matter what amp you're using...

Thanks for your input LesPaul.

I am totally happy with that since I have plan to sell this V 25 to get me a JP2C but adding an overdrive pedal to the lead sound must do something :)) doesnt it?

Anyone can show his idea?

I use a tube screamer on my big V. It helps the notes "sing" when I'm playing leads. Yea, it smooths out the high end quite a bit. It's worth a shot. It doesn't make it any thicker though. That's where the bigger iron helps. Its always sounded smoother and more musical to stomp on the tube screamer for leads. In my JP2C, it "sings" without the tube screamer. No pedal required 8)

I agree, use the Extreme mode. I Like to turn the treble all the way up and set the gain at about 3:00. Use the EQ to cut or boost as required. Some people will do the opposite, turn the gain up and treble down. I find that my way reduces that fizzy edge and gives a smoother lead. Works for me.

It really depends on which context you are playing. Playing alone, with backing tracks, jamming or gigging with a band? If you are playing alone, dial it in, and be done with it. You won't get thick tones at the bottom of the master volume level. Remember, with the Mark V 25, the more gain you have, the less bass you need. Use the volume controls on your guitar... that's what they are made for. Find the sweet spots here, fool with the tone controls too.

In live situations, I have no problem getting super rich and creamy lead tones from my MkV25. The key is less gain. If you want sustain, use an OD pedal. Getting great solo tone live can be a bit of a bear. Your main objective is to push your tone to the top of the sonic pallet. You want a clear, and present tone, that stands out in the mix. Using the EQ to do this, once your gain is dialed in, is usually the way I approach it. If you don't want to dedicate your EQ to boosting, using a good clean boost is the 2nd option. Try it out front, but if it squishes your tone too much, throw it in the effects loop (I usually put it after any other effects but your mileage may vary).

Those that are telling you that you need more power, although it will help, it's not necessary at all. Most pro guitar players are always looking to reduce power to improve stage sound.

Hey guys thanks for your replies this is a lot of information for me to sit down and dial it in little by little to test haha.

I have found the tone that I was referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQOI_0LGrDI

Hell's Kitchen by Dream Theater. Please listen to the mini solo start at around 0:55

I would love to have a clean, smooth, creamy lead tone like that but have yet to achieve it. There is always some fuzziness and hair in my tone that I want to get rid of. I know that JP used his Mark IIC+ or Mark IV here but a Mark V 25 should get me pretty close to this tone wise. Any ideas? Btw I just ordered a Tube Screamer type drive to test use to see if it makes any difference, need one anyway

flyingblade said:
There is always some fuzziness and hair in my tone that I want to get rid of.

That statement right there says turn the volume control down on your guitar, little by little, until you get rid of the fizz...

flyingblade said:
Please listen to the mini solo start at around 0:55

He's got his volume rolled off, he's got a bit of tone rolled off... he has the amp working pretty hard. He's also either modulating the volume control or using a volume pedal. He's got a fair amount of delay and verb on it too. It's a nice sounding solo... he really knows how to get the sound out of the wood of a guitar.

Turn the presence down on the amp to maybe 9 oclock.Also the tone knob on your guitar could be rolled back a bit.Try using the neck pickup if its a humbucker.

Update:

Turning presence down seems to do the trick. It removes the fuzziness but make the tone a bit too dark. Still waiting for that pedal to boost :D

I haven't played a v25 but an xoitic EP booster helps fatten things up.

TS - Sounds like you are already there by reducing the presence, but if you are looking for a clean boost, I use a TC Electronics Spark and I like it a lot.

I've said it before but I will repeat. I set my V:35 gain tone by turning the treble all the way up. Then I add gain as needed. At that point I may roll the treble back a bit as desired. I find that the fizz (if any, this amp is low on fizz) comes from the gain. The treble is more of a voicing control. I love the smooth, liquid gain tones I get from my V:35 using this technique.

Back