how to connect rack tuner to my f-50?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyc4

Reaction score
How do I connect a Korg DTR-2000 Rackmount Digital Tuner to my Mesa Boogie F-50 combo?

What cables do I need? Anyone want to post a pic or something.

Thanks.

I have one of the rackmount Korg tuners too (I think mine's the 1000), and I use an F-50.

Tuners, in general, are tone-suckers. The Korg units are more transparent than most, but still affect your tone. Ideally you want the tuner out of the signal chain completely. That said, you have several of options:

1. From guitar go to tuner IN, and from tuner OUT go into your effects chain/amp. When you go this route, and mute the tuner, you get almost a total mute.

2. From effects send go to tuner IN, tuner OUT to other effects in your effects chain in the effects loop, or direct to effects Return. If you use this approach, if you use the tuner MUTE function, there is some signal bleed-through.

3. Use an A/B box. GTR > A/B box. A goes to the effects chain before amp input (or straight into the amp), B goes to the tuner. This way the tuner is out of the signal chain completely, and you get true muting when the tuner is being used. www.pedalboardjunction.com has a cool unit that is inexpensive and will set you up for this approach. He also has something called a BandorA box that will allow you to use the tuner alone (i.e. bypass your amp) or have the tuner on while you're playing, but it's still out of the signal chain.

I currently use approach #1, but plan on getting one of the boxes described in #3 as a crimble present this year if the wife sees fit to gift it to me.

For all of the above, a regular guitar cable is what you need, and it doesn't matter whether you go into the tuner input on the front panel or back panel of the unit. Hope this helps.

This is my first attempt at owning a rack. Right now I only have a tuner and power conditioner. So from now on I will no longer connect my guitar into the amps front imput, but into the tuner front/back input?

The Tuner Out goes where in the amp?

plumptone check your pm

Dann'sTheMan said:
Hi barneyc4,

One neat approach is to use the Recording line out straight into the tuner. You should simply need a normal guitar lead to make the connection, :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

Andy - I never thought of doing that. Is the signal strong enough? I guess it would be if it's a strong enought signal to drive a recording. And I assume it's OK to be using all the rear panel jacks simultaneously. Very neat trick since it takes any of the inevitable tone-suck out if the equation. Is there any way to mute the signal when you do this though?

plumptone said:
Dann'sTheMan said:
Hi barneyc4,

One neat approach is to use the Recording line out straight into the tuner. You should simply need a normal guitar lead to make the connection, :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

Andy - I never thought of doing that. Is the signal strong enough? I guess it would be if it's a strong enought signal to drive a recording. And I assume it's OK to be using all the rear panel jacks simultaneously. Very neat trick since it takes any of the inevitable tone-suck out if the equation. Is there any way to mute the signal when you do this though?

INTERESTING. Wanna give it a try? I don't have my tuner yet, it should be here thursday.

No way to (footswitch) mute the signal if you run it out of the Recording Out. You can, however, flip the speaker mute switch off and it will kill the sound coming out of the speaker for silent tuning. I did this at one show and it was a pain in the *** running back behind the amp everytime to tune. I think the best solution for silent tuning is running an A/B box. If you don't care about silent tuning, then running out of the Recording Out is a great option because it still lets you use the effects loop, and doesn't do anything to your signal

Ummm, I can't believe this hasn't been said...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_ernie_ball_vp_jr._passive_volume_pedal?full_sku=102319654&src=4SOSWXXA

Problem solved.

good idea about the volume pedal, however this tuner is for a rack set up, so he would hvae to run an extra cable back to his rack, which isnt ideal, unless the rack is up front, which normally is not the case... I think an A/B Box is the best idea.

Latest posts

Back