How often do you have to change caps?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHysteria

Reaction score
I bought a used Mesa Mark IIB and I haven't got it checked out yet. The tubes seem fine and the time when I said I didn't get a good tone....well....I didn't change my guitar strings. After I changed the guitar strings.....it's better!

When do I need to change the caps? And what other maintenance needs to be performed or replaced for an old amp like this?

From my understanding you need to change caps and pots and stuff like that when you notice a change. Everytime you go into your amp or someone does that, theres a chance of fucking something up. When you move your knobs do you hear cracking, that's when you change your pots I bel ieve. But the amp is old and becuase it's old it would be a good idea to get it serviced by a tech for a clean up.
my two cents.

Pots can last forever,just need to be cleaned if they get scratchy,usually.I say usually because a scratchy pot that doesnt improve with cleaning,could be a sign of a leaky coupling cap.Filter caps begin to degrade after about 10 years,maybe less if the amp wasnt used a lot or sat for years without being used.Some people feel they shouldnt be changed unless they exhibit signs of going bad.Having seen what a cap spews all over the chassis when it explodes, I change mine before 10 yrs.or they begin to show signs of degrading,I try to do it between 6 and 8 yrs regardless.Just to be safe.A leaky filter cap stresses other components and can cause PT or rectifier failure.If you have a tech you trust take it to him to give it a general maintenance,after all you dont know when it was serviced last.

You can buy a complete cap set for less than $50.00 direct from Mesa Boogie. They will send you the right caps for your Mark IIB. I just received mine, took about a week.
I would suggest getting them from Mesa as they all appear to be Spague caps labeled for Mesa. Except for the 47uf 100 volt caps are Nichicon from Japan.
If you have a tech replace with their stock you may get some Chinese crap.
Sprague are still made in the USA, and considered to be one of the best for tube amplifiers.

I believe the two 220uf caps in series (the main caps) that mesa uses are Illinois I dont think Sprague makes that size.I like the F&T's for those.The other 30uf's are Spragues relabeled for Mesa.Like Dutchman says-stay away from the far east crap-they suck.

Aw man....well I don't relaly know much about this tech stuff. It's my first tube amp and I bought it used.

Intereting note though...sometimes when I turn the 'Presence' knob at the back, I can hear some noise. Not sure if it's crackling, but it's not smooth. Like when you turn that knob, it makes some sort of noise.

Funny thing is, other knobs such as the Treble, Bass, Mids, etc. don't really make that sound.

Probably just a dirty pot,the presence knob,no big deal.But since you did buy it used you should have it checked out by a tech.Tube amps need to be maintained to sound and work their best.MKIII is a very good amp,you should keep it that way.

TheHysteria said:
Aw man....well I don't relaly know much about this tech stuff. It's my first tube amp and I bought it used.

Intereting note though...sometimes when I turn the 'Presence' knob at the back, I can hear some noise. Not sure if it's crackling, but it's not smooth. Like when you turn that knob, it makes some sort of noise.

Funny thing is, other knobs such as the Treble, Bass, Mids, etc. don't really make that sound.
The same thing is appening with my Mark III, only the presence knob make a whisssssh whisssssh kind of sound when I turn the button. Some guy tell me it just because I dont turn it up that much.

stokes said:
Probably just a dirty pot,the presence knob,no big deal.But since you did buy it used you should have it checked out by a tech.Tube amps need to be maintained to sound and work their best.MKIII is a very good amp,you should keep it that way.

I don't have a Mark III, I am using a Mark IIB though.

Latest posts

Back