How often do you guys change your preamp tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave G.

Reaction score
Hey guys im thinking of giving my dual rec a tube change soon. Its the rist time ive changed the tubes in it and im wondering how often do you guys change your preamp tubes? Do you change them everytime you change your power tubes or every second time? Ive read articles saying people change them with every power tube change but i dont know why this is the case?

Its alot of cash to fork out for a full set of tubes if its not needed.

Thanks again in advance for any advice! :D

Dave

Pre-amp tubes don't wear out like power tubes. Most are designed (or were) for many hundreds, if not thousands of hours of service.
Of course, that doesn't mean they can't develop problems with noise and microphonics over time. Stuff happens, things break. And they don't make 'em like they used to.
Tube junkies tend to change pre-amp tubes for their different sound qualities, not because they've been in the amp for "X" hours.

Thanks man for the reply! Saves me a bit of money not having to replace them all the time haha

I usually change them when I hear any problems. Though that means for me at least 3 years. If I have issues before that I try to fine the single bad tube and just replace that one. Pre-amp tubes do last much longer than power tubes.

agreed that preamp tubes dont wear out nearly as fast as power tubes. power tubes should generally be replaced every 6 months to 2 years (depending on how loud and how often you play it), or whenever one goes bad. they should be changed somewhat regularly, just like guitar strings. preamp tubes are more of a need-only basis. when it comes to preamp tubes, if it aint broke, dont fix it. unless youre swapping tubes to get a different tone, or if its been multiple years and you think theyre due for a change. rectifier tubes should generally be replaced with every other power tube change.

Some Fender amps from the 50s and 60s are still using their original preamp tubes.

I don't change mine unless there's a specific issue with them, at which time I replace the individual tube.

Power tubes I seem to get about a year out of.

i haven't found my perfect cocktail, yet, but when i do, i'll quit doing it daily like i do now!!

my amp chassis is actually out on my desk and my speaker box across the room....hahahaha

lunatic tube rolling!

Latest posts

Back