How many of you boost your Mark series amps for leads?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not yet, but I´m thinking of getting a good OD pedal for my Mark III. Just to push it a bit more for leads. It doesn´t really need it, but then I can use less gain for my rhythms to keep them really tight and articulate and then boost it for liquidy, sustaining leads.

Antoine said:
I don't, there's no need to.
Ditto! I prefer to keep the signal chain as noise free as possible and use as little cable as possible, and have recently removed several pedals to accomplish this.

I own a Mark IV model A (quad of 6L6, C23 mod). I don't need a booster on the Lead channel, there is a truck load of gain !!!! I tried an Xotic RC Booster on R2 and I can say that there is a slight improvement on the gain and attack dynamic but setting must be kept low otherwise it overload the channel.

Mark IIB - there's no need to boost, but sticking a Tubescreamer in front gives a different and sometimes desirable tone. I find that boosting is often the best compromise on this amp - I like my volume 1 gain down quite low for a clean sound, but ideally it's nice to push it up for overdriven sounds. Keep it low, and stick a boost on the front as well is kinda the best of both worlds.

The Mark IV has plenty of gain on the lead channel, but then my rhythm sound looses some tight chunk, so for live siutations I set my rhythm the way I like and have been playing around with a ds-1 for a swedish **** hair more of drive to bring it to where I like.

I would prefer not have to do this, but it works quite well.

i use a TS-9 to just tighten up the sound a bit more. gain at a little below 9 o clock, tone at about 1 o clock and level at a little less than 3 o clock.

I use a boutique dual (clean)boost pedal (barge concepts db-2)in the effects loop of my mkIV to get out front for solos.....doesn't add "dirt" and works extremely well imho since you are boosting after the preamp stage.

Do you guys get a pop when using your boost pedal? I built an MXR Micro Amp and it emits a loud pop when engaged. Maybe I built it wrong!!!

gentlemen gentlemen gentlemen. you people and your ts9's. best way to go: zvex superhardon. I use it when I run the marshall and mark III side by side. (the sho has dual outputs) its an awesome booster. I dont really use it to boost the signal much (its set just above unity) but it tightens things up, and is a great clean preamp pedal

Hello there. I'm a new poster here... been reading for a few days now and already learned a lot. Not yet a Mesa owner, sadly...

Would the V-Twin fit for a booster?

Sang-Drax said:
Hello there. I'm a new poster here... been reading for a few days now and already learned a lot. Not yet a Mesa owner, sadly...

Welcome! I would say no, generally with a booster you want something fairly transparent and not too hot, that being said, I know some people use Boss Metalzone pedals to boost, but I'm not too hot on the sound.

I think we should all post what kind of pickups are being used if you do use a boost. I've got some stock alnico pickups which are fairly low output and sometimes use a boost for leads.

Can i use a "Silicon fuzz" a "DOD 250 preamp" type of pedal or a digitech "Bad Monkey" with the mark IV...?

The lead channel in my Mark IV is my boost. I set it up where I want it with the volume of the lead louder than the other channels. I can use the gain and drive settings depending on if I want more of a fuzz type boost or more amp drive.
I also use the EQ as a boost with the clean channel for a boost for clean. The way I usually set it is mostly a boost in the mids and gives it a little more chubby tone.
That gives me 2 good and different boosts. This was part of why I bought the Mark IV...good boosts with no pedals.

newtomesa said:
Sang-Drax said:

Welcome! I would say no, generally with a booster you want something fairly transparent and not too hot, that being said, I know some people use Boss Metalzone pedals to boost, but I'm not too hot on the sound.

I think we should all post what kind of pickups are being used if you do use a boost. I've got some stock alnico pickups which are fairly low output and sometimes use a boost for leads.

Thanks! :)

Yeah, I pretty much came to that conclusion after reading through other people's posts concerning boosts and stuff... not that I own a V-Twin, mind you. It was just out of curiosity.

Cheerz

For myself I would have to say no also. But there have been exceptions in the past when looking for something a little different. But only really have done this in the studio, I use to do this allot with Marshall and my pedals of choice where either a Boss DS1 or an Ibanez Tube Screamer. Kept the pedals on the light side and usually backed off on the drive of the amp also, this gave me more focused sound, which I really like allot.
But I really don’t find the need with my Mark IV or any Boogie I have owned, come to think of it.
As far as live for a volume boost I use a processor in the loop so that patch will just push the output volume a bit.

Back