how loud live?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fstbk272

Reaction score
How loud do you guys have your amps turned up live? specifically dual and triple rec's.Thanks - Roger

Elpelotero said:

Where are you playing that you're running Recto volume at 12 Noon? Most sound guys I know would be yelling at you... :lol:

I would say I'm usually between 9-10 o'clock live in most venues.

That really depends on the size venue. A typical small club setting that holds up to 250 people, you shouldn't even use a 4x12... I have a Boogie 2x12 for that, and the master volume is around 10:00. Sometimes I use the 4x12 in a room this size and I'm lucky if the volume gets up to 10:00 -- this is on a Road King II, which I mostly run in 2x6L6 mode for 50W operation.

Note that regardless of your search for tone goodness, if you're in a small room with a small stage, and your cabinet is being miked for the PA system, you want to have the lowest possible stage volume for overall best sound and mixing. Too many young guitar players make the mistake of turning up their stage volume too loud -- it then competes with the PA and the engineer can't properly mix the band, and the whole group comes off sounding like crap.

Of course I don't know anything about your specific case, just offering some tips here :).

You typically don't get the master volume past 12:00 until you're on a stage the size of your house.

Scott

on 50W Stiletto master and output are both around 10:00-11:00. I recall it being about the same when I had a DR. Basically, everyone plays to the level of the drummer in a typical club/bar setup since the drums are not coming through a monitor mix, the bass/guitar/keyboard stage volumes are set so everyone hears everyone equally on stage, then we just adjust the master on the PA to suit the venue.

If you can get enough room to put your amp on a side of the stage then you should be good for a little loudness

Around 10 to 12 o'clock. I'm loud..... but only on my side, near my amps.
You should look into using sound baffels in front of the speakers. I've been doing that since 1986. This allows you to turn the amp up, without blasting out the sound guy or the people in direct line of you amps. The ones I used for years were made of the drop ceiling stuff on a fold out frame all painted black. Joe Bonamasa is using plexi glass placed about 1 ft in front of the speakers. The plexi might be a little harsh, but should still do the trick. It allows you to turn up to where you can hear and feel it, but it will sound normal to everyone else.

The mic right up next to the grill sees about 105dB. That's about 98dB for my ears 6 feet away. The sound guy loves me. :p

Depends on the size and acoustics of the room, but I try to dial in a stage volume that is a good match to the drums (thankfully a hard-hitting drummer with a very nice kit). We can all hear eachother clearly even if the monitor mix sucks, but the FOH does most of the work filling the room.

Proper EQing is as much if not more important than volume for good live sound. Set your amp so it sits well in the mix (probably a bit different from the way you like it by itself), and as posted above turn it sideways on the stage in smaller rooms. Your audience and soundman will thank you.

I have no idea... the master knob on my Tremoverb doesn't have a little dimple :wink:

Hi dmcguitar,
I havent tried plexi glass, I think plywood would work better. What I meant by the plexi sounding harsh is, I didnt know if you would get too much high end. The stuff I used actually sounded normal to me. The tone didnt change at all. Once you try it, you wont want to play without it.

9:30, to 11:30 with a 4x12. With our new in ear set up, about 1 or 2, with a 1x12 Mesa cab. Sounds pretty good to me but still hard to get used to not feeling the thump. By the way I did try the plexi-glass thing and it sounded about the same as plywood, just not as "Red-Neckian"

i crank it to noon or 1 and when the sound guy tells me to turn it down i tell him to get the microphone off my cab i'm crankin the son of a ***** :twisted: ... PA's and sound guys are overrated. :) truth is i play small enough clubs i can get away with doing that without ruining overall mix level... too much. but shhh dont tell. anyway i spent 2000+ for good tone i want to f-in hear it live not just in my garage. my and played a show in an old opera house and their PA was so shitty and the sound guy told me to turn down to ab out 9 o clock and i looked at him and said whatever so i did. result: no one heard anything but drums and i was a very pissed off vocalist guitarist who wasn't afraid of showing it. all in all my opinion crank it to get MY sound out of my rig that i want (without a mic) do the same with the other guitars, and mix everyone else with the pa to meet it. Pain in the ***? maybe but thats why i play guitar and i don't do sound :) ps when people tell me they get cold chills from the air my cab is pushing i consider that a compliment

Latest posts

Back