How loud do you turn up at an average gig w/out a Hotplate?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How loud do you turn up at an average gig w/out a Hotplate?

• 1-3(clean power amp)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4-6(breakup)

• 7-10(cranked

• Total voters

Cleekster

Reaction score
For awhile now my singer( who is also the leader of the band)and i have been buttingheads about guitar stage volume.He turns his Marshall TSL's crunch vol. up to 2 and sets everything else accordingly....Unfortunately i gotta have POWER TUBE SATURATION!!!!!!!!!!i preffer to set my amp sideways unlike the other guy who thinks his amp should be blended with the P.a. or maybe it's a stage prop or something i don't know....but anyway I'm getting extremely FRUSTRATED.

Should i turn down and deal with it?turn up and tell him to deal with it? or find a different band?

P.S. i don't use a Hotplate 'cause i like the extra "Chunk" i get when the speaker is being pushed.........am i being loud and unrealistic?

Thanks for the advice guy's..........it's a sad day when a boogie owner has to go to the MARSHALL FORUM to get advice.... :evil: :!:

Hey Cleekster, I just saw your post. I try to blend with the rest of the band. I get told to turn down on occasion. I don't take it personal, nor should I. Granted, we keep our volumes fairly low, but if one guy is really standing out volumewise from the rest of the band, then something's not right. It can throw off the vocals.

If you want to stay with the band, you should think about turning down or using a hotplate. If you're not happy with the situation, find another band that likes it louder.

Or heaven forbid wise-up like most of haven't and get something with about 15-30 watts and come to the realization you're not going to play Wembley anytime soon. I love the 100/50 watts my MkIII has but, getting it to sound right it has to be pretty loud. Maybe a LSS would be a good fit for you. Personally that's what I'm leaning to, or if I hit the lotto a Badcat Lynx or Hotcat.

I would either turn down or get a lower powered amp that you can crank up. Use a hotplate... get a lower powered set of speakers and/or a smaller speaker cabinet.... there has to be something you can do to get a good sound at a lower volume.

If this volume problem is the only real problem in your band then you are in a really good situation and you shouldn't mess it up over something so petty as wanting to crank up your amp. I understand the desire to crank up a tube amp but you have to be realistic about it and be a team player.

Good luck!

:wink:

Cleekster said:
Thanks for the advice guy's..........it's a sad day when a boogie owner has to go to the MARSHALL FORUM to get advice.... :evil: :!:
Quite often all you hear is the crickets :lol: LOL!

Ciao ...

Turn it up to at least 7, drive the tubes and do as I do - stick the amp back stage. I have a Gimp with an annotated setlist and ear muffs who changes settings when need be. 8)

He works for beer, which suits me nicely.

Maybe I'll invest in a Dr. Z Airbrake one day. If it's good enough for Mr. Knopfler, it's good enough for me....

Now if I could just get the Gimp to get me a beer... :)

Latest posts

Back