How is the IIC+ at low volumes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Hero

Reaction score
I know they're insanely good at high volumes, but this is gonna need to be used at home too. I have a lead on a 1984, simul-class, EQ and I was looking for anything you can give me on low volume stuff?

Sounds weird I know on an amp that begs to be played at roaring volume, but as I say, I have my reasons.

FWIW, I owned two Mark IVs and loved them so...

I had a 60/100 Watt head and it was loud as hell! It sounded awesome at low volumes, but as you mentioned yeas it does sing at higher volumes.

Your NOT going to get over the top thick metal tones unless you crank it thru a 4X12 closed back! But, it still sounds good at low volumes!

I play METAL and to be honest the C+ (as most tube amps) need to be pushed to enjoy it's full potential. Having said that, it wasn't until I had the amp at 4+ volumes where the tone/gain really poured out! But at those levels you need ear plugs and it's deafening!

BUT, don't let that discourage you, I mean, I would ALWAYS suggest if you can get one at a good price, grab it! It's awesome at all levels, but does get better as it gets cranked.

You can also consider a THD Hotplate, I hear they work well.

Keep in mind this is my opinion and I play strictly METAL!!!

The clean was AMAZING aswell, best I've heard and I didn't turn it too loud, bedroom levels....

Random Hero said:
I know they're insanely good at high volumes, but this is gonna need to be used at home too. I have a lead on a 1984, simul-class, EQ and I was looking for anything you can give me on low volume stuff?

Sounds weird I know on an amp that begs to be played at roaring volume, but as I say, I have my reasons.

It's good that it is a Simul. Class-A will allow for more of a cranked sound at lower volumes. But even then it may get loud when you find the "sweet spot". Is it a combo or head?

JOEY B. said:
Random Hero said:

It's good that it is a Simul. Class-A will allow for more of a cranked sound at lower volumes. But even then it may get loud when you find the "sweet spot". Is it a combo or head?

Head.

The thiele is a great 1x12 to put under a short chassis Boogie. In my opinion the C90 has less clarity than the EVM. Some people love the added clarity of the EV, while others despise it. Another great speaker for the thiele is the Eminence Delta-Pro 12A. :)

The C+ doesn't excel at low volumes like some other Mesa amps may. I have found putting the Gain up to around 9, Lead Master at 1, and Volume 1 at 3 gives me a decent bedroom tone. But it's nothing compared to the real thing. A Mark4 sounds much better at low volumes.

Elpelotero said:
The C+ doesn't excel at low volumes like some other Mesa amps may. I have found putting the Gain up to around 9, Lead Master at 1, and Volume 1 at 3 gives me a decent bedroom tone. But it's nothing compared to the real thing. A Mark4 sounds much better at low volumes.

Interesting, thanks.

Guess I'm in the minority, I get great metal tones at bedroom volumes with my C+'s. I get better tones through a closed back of course but with a thiele its still pretty awesome.

Elpelotero said:
+1. I keep Vol 1 at 7, Lead Drive at 5, and output volumes depending on how low you need to play. It loses some of it's touch-sensitive flavor for me unless the amp can "breathe", but it's still pretty tasty! I completely agree about the Mark IV sounding better at low volume..world's greatest practice amp!

Latest posts

Back