How does the 4x12 Recto Traditional compare to a 2x12 recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enc3f4L0

Reaction score
Well, topic says it all.

I wanna know the differences between these two cabs... I ordered a Mark IV Head and I'm probably gonna get a 4x12 Rectifier Traditional to go along with...

I want to know if the extra weight + cash is worth it, or would a 2x12 recto be just as good?

Thanks.

I have a Road King 2x12, and IMO it slays! I'm currently shopping for a 4x12. Either the traditional or I'm going to make a halfback. I too curious about the sound of the traditional cab. I hear the traditional is a tighter cab. But I have heard the same with 2 2x12 cabs.

I can't compare the Traditional 4x12, but I have the Standard 4x12 and used to have the horizontal Recto 2x12. I'd say the 2x12 sounded just as good as the 4x12... only marginally less bass, especially since the 4x12 is on casters.

However, the lack of casters was the horizontal 2x12's downfall for me; it's carried by a heavy-duty center strap, and that cab is heavy. Not that the 4x12 isn't even more monstrously heavy, but it at least has casters and side-handles, and it's easy enough for two people to carry.

I also owned the vertical Recto 2x12. That was about the perfect size for a Mark (fit perfectly on top, like a mini stack), had side-handles and casters, but to me the tone was nowhere near as big as the horizontal 2x12. Again, it might be the casters and smaller horizontal dimensions involved, producing less bass resonance from the floor.

If you don't need to carry it much, or are not a wimp like me, I'd rate the horizontal 2x12 at least as good as the 4x12. I kind of wish I hadn't sold it with my Triaxis, but I had too many cabs at the time. :)

I've got a Horizontal Recto 2x12, and a Vintage Marshall 4x12 (both with the Celestions Vintage 30's) i can't say about a Recto 4x12, but my Recto 2x12 really kills the Marshall 4x12 tonewise !
The 2x12 Recto has a huge amount of low end, and the sound is really smooth comparing to my Marshall, the MarkIV is really "at home" with this Mesa Cab, it sounds bigger, fuller than with the Marshall 4x12 !
A friend of mine has got a Vertical Recto 2x12, and even if the sound is far away better than most of 4x12, it sounds a little different than the Horizontal one, surely because of the side handles and casters (i totaly agree with SeasonOfPain point of view about this) !
The Recto 2x12 is a phenomenal guitar cab which kills a lot of any 4x12 Brands !

I had the "oversized " 4x12 recto and it's a bit muddy and loose in the bottom end. I bought 2,2x12 recto cabs and that did the trick,but I ended up selling one and going with a VHT Fat Bottom 4x12.
I kept one of the 2x12 cabs for those,"dont wanna haul a 4x12" moments.
I think you'll be impressed with the 2x12 recto.

Thanks for all the info...

Seems like the 2x12 is an awesome cab then.

If I can't manage to raise enough cash for the 4x12 Traditional I won't feel disapointed in getting the 2x12 now. Thanks.

Back