How does Rivera and Soldano compare to Recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishyfishfish

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering (And Shopping) how the Rivera KR-Tre and Soldano Hot Rod 100 compare to the Dual Recto? I have been having an on/off love affair with my three channel Dual. My amp sounds good, but seems slow in tracking lead work, I need a clean channel that is a real clean channel, and while I think the amp is fine tone wise, I want something that is tight for rhythm and leads. I can get half way there with a boost, but seriously considering these two heads. Any opinions?
Thanks, Fish.

If it matters a the slo 100 is the best amp i have ever played.

I don't own a rec but i have played through a few. Imo a soldano is much better suited for lead work.

Heck yes it matters! I love the SLO, but it's been 20 years or so since I played one and the price put me off for a long time. Right now I'm looking for an amp that I can be happy with for a while.

The Rivera Knucklehead destroys the recto on every count. First of all, the clean channel is amazing, not the rubbish you get from a recto. Also, under high gain the amp remains tight and focused, and allows the detail and dynamics of your paying to come through. Compared to the Knucklehead, the recto sounds loose and mushy.
Rectos are good at what they do - they are great for high-gain power-chord dominated metal. But if you want your individuality to come through, you won't. The recto doesn't do it. The Knucklehead is incredible, and I highly recommend them to anyone who asks.

Before I bought my Stiletto, I listened to a lot of amps (as one would expect).

When I played the SLO 100, I thought: "Awesome, but too similar to my Triaxis/50-50 on Ch 2 lead "Yellow" (supposedly the Mk 2c+ setting)....and I wanted something more unique, so I bought the Stiletto.

But, of course, this is just me! :)

Point being.....have you checked out the Mark 5? (or a used 4?)
Any of these would be a good change from the Recto......

The SLO is probably the high gain amp all others are measured against. It simply leaves you with nothing more to wish. Be aware though that the HR amps are nothing of the like, I find them average at best.

Actually the first amp I ever bought was a Soldano hot rod 50, and I never liked it. I called Mike Soldano to get some intel because I could never EQ out the shrill high end, and he said as the hot rod's were designed to be live amps that he designed the high end to always cut through the live noise on stage. I needed an amp that was as good live as in the studio, so I traded it for a Mesa Heartbreaker. Loved the Heartbreaker, but couldn't exactly get the distortion I wanted out of it. (the clean tone was like a fender twin though)
I've had a dual rec now for two years and I love it. There's just SOOOO much versatility in the options for tone and distortion sounds that in my opinion it blows out the Soldano Hot Rods across the board.

The Soldano SLO destroys just about every amp out there. Period.

I had a chance to track an entire record with an original one from the mid 80's, owned by Howard from Heart. My god what a tone. It had coat hanger hooks for the cord wrap!

Living in Seattle, I will one day custom order one.

anyone have experience with an avenger? how does that compare to the slo? its supposed to be just the lead of an slo and no effects loop... also much less $$$

Soldano and THD are the only production amps I've ever seen that rival Mesa for build quality.
In terms of transformers, they kill Mesa. You just can't beat Mercury Magnetics. They are easily twice the size/weight of the Mesa transformers.

Based on my needs for a really great clean tone, great Reverb and thick distortion that really sings, I would recommend:
Choice 1:
Soldano Lucky 13 (just needs a couple of simple mods to sound extremely close to the SLO.
Reverb is a little noisy, but extremely lush and deep.
Clean channel is the best non-Fender clean I've ever used, hands down.
The distortion channel does need a mod to get high enough gain to satisfy me, and there is no FX Loop.
But....The mods are easy and with the proper Loop circuit, this is the ultimate amp in my opinion. Built like a Russian wife, as simple to operate as a pay phone, Distortion that will send almost any other amp running for cover, and a clean sound that is sweeter than Jessica Alba!
These are the under dogs of the Soldano world because they do not come from the factory with the SLO gain.

Choice 2:
Heartbreaker.
With a Reverb mod and a high gain mod on channel 2, you can get Twin Reverb clang and some seriously sweet Marshall-esque distortion without the crappy Marshall build quality!
The Loop is very transparent.
Cleans are incredibly sweet!
Solo Boost can be added as well, making this amp much more versatile than the Lucky 13.
Lots of options too!!!!
Not nearly as much distortion as the Recto or SLO though unless you get it seriously modded.

Choice 3:
Mesa DC-10.
Reverb can be great with a simple mod.
Loop can be great with a simple mod.
Cleans are very sweet and articulate with nice warmth.
Distortion tones are over the top, but not quite Recto or SLO.
The EQ really adds to the versatility though.

I haven't had the chance to try a Knucklehead yet. The nearest Rivera dealer is over 200 miles away.
Who am I kidding, the nearest music store that doesn't suck dog balls is over 200 miles away! But, I have over 20 trees in my yard and the air is clean!

I haven't tried an Avenger yet either. To be honest, it doesn't hold my interest. I did have a Hot Rod 100+ (the channel switching model). It was ok, but I had the Lucky 13 at the same time and it absolutely blew the HR away!

Soldano is more into the stripped down, hot-rodded theory of amps. He doesn't want to put a bunch of useless or confusing options. He is concentrating more on the purest tone he can get out of his amps. That says a lot in todays world of 1000's of options and choices.

We have recto and marshall head and cabs at the local rehearsal studio where my band rehearse but i take my mark 3,s down when i want to use a stand alone amp with no pedals the cleans are nice round, warm and punchy whilst the leads are nice organic and midrangey(if you want them to be) great for lead.You can pre set the on board 5 band eq for a scooped metal tone as well if you need a seperate rythmn tone and also this option is foot switchable!!!If you want an an even tighter tone and more control over the channels there,s the mark 4(though i think the 3 has a better clean channel!)the lead channel is just which ever is your personal preference!(for the mark 3 or 4).

Cool Help guys! and keep it coming. I'm coming up on some cash soon for a new rig, and while I will always have at least one Boogie, I am leaning towards another high gainer 2-3 channel that will sound good through an in ear system (Barely on due to the sound turd) to outdoor full on full stack mode. I have listened to a lot of sound clips but I have found that actual customers that play their amp day in and day out can give the best advice.
So, how bout a Herbert or VH4?

seeing as though you like the recto sound have you thought of trying a 2ch dual recto? i went 3ch dual, 3ch triple then finally settled on a 2ch triple rev g. im happy with the cleans, and find the overdrive not as compressed and mushy as on the 3ch. its still fairly versatile with its channel cloning option too. or maybe go roadster as generally word is theyre a great sounding amp. ive only played a roadster briefly but did find it closer sounding to the 2ch recto than 3ch.

my 2c about the soldano's, i own a HR 100 and yes, they are bright without their depth (xl) mod and have a refined overdrive but the clean channel is called "Normal" and is more of a crunch channel. its an amazing amp at band volumes. :D all soldano gear is built to last and actually is more robust than mesa stuff if thats possible - and then there's is SLO - all components are of the highest quality including the tranny's that are Deyoung and as a result sound different to the rest of the soldano line.

good luck...

The SLO is sort of the Rolls Royce of amps. It's built like a tank and sounds and plays incredible. Mesa ripped off the circuit when designing the rectifier as did Peavey with the 5150.

I've got a Rivera dealer here in town. If you're having problems with the feel and flubbiness of the recto's you won't dig the Rivera. They're very similar with regards to feel. Personally I can't stand flubby amps (the reason I don't own my dual rec anymore) so If you want something punchy that will do beautiful to brutal and hold up your entire natural life buy an SLO. If you want something that sounds a bit more like a Marshall but has a better clean than your Rectifier and feels the same buy a Rivera.

I'll never own another Recto or any rivera, but I'll own an SLO some day if I have to pay full retail.

Monsta-Tone said:
Soldano and THD are the only production amps I've ever seen that rival Mesa for build quality.
In terms of transformers, they kill Mesa. You just can't beat Mercury Magnetics. They are easily twice the size/weight of the Mesa transformers.

Based on my needs for a really great clean tone, great Reverb and thick distortion that really sings, I would recommend:
Choice 1:
Soldano Lucky 13 (just needs a couple of simple mods to sound extremely close to the SLO.
Reverb is a little noisy, but extremely lush and deep.
Clean channel is the best non-Fender clean I've ever used, hands down.
The distortion channel does need a mod to get high enough gain to satisfy me, and there is no FX Loop.
But....The mods are easy and with the proper Loop circuit, this is the ultimate amp in my opinion. Built like a Russian wife, as simple to operate as a pay phone, Distortion that will send almost any other amp running for cover, and a clean sound that is sweeter than Jessica Alba!
These are the under dogs of the Soldano world because they do not come from the factory with the SLO gain.

Choice 2:
Heartbreaker.
With a Reverb mod and a high gain mod on channel 2, you can get Twin Reverb clang and some seriously sweet Marshall-esque distortion without the crappy Marshall build quality!
The Loop is very transparent.
Cleans are incredibly sweet!
Solo Boost can be added as well, making this amp much more versatile than the Lucky 13.
Lots of options too!!!!
Not nearly as much distortion as the Recto or SLO though unless you get it seriously modded.

Choice 3:
Mesa DC-10.
Reverb can be great with a simple mod.
Loop can be great with a simple mod.
Cleans are very sweet and articulate with nice warmth.
Distortion tones are over the top, but not quite Recto or SLO.
The EQ really adds to the versatility though.

I haven't had the chance to try a Knucklehead yet. The nearest Rivera dealer is over 200 miles away.
Who am I kidding, the nearest music store that doesn't suck dog balls is over 200 miles away! But, I have over 20 trees in my yard and the air is clean!

I haven't tried an Avenger yet either. To be honest, it doesn't hold my interest. I did have a Hot Rod 100+ (the channel switching model). It was ok, but I had the Lucky 13 at the same time and it absolutely blew the HR away!

Soldano is more into the stripped down, hot-rodded theory of amps. He doesn't want to put a bunch of useless or confusing options. He is concentrating more on the purest tone he can get out of his amps. That says a lot in todays world of 1000's of options and choices.

Digging up old thread.....

How close to an SLO tone will the Lucky get?? I like the cleans in it. Nice little amp. If it could get a hot lead channel, it 'could' be the perfect little combo.

Back