How does a Rectifier with EL's sound....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's no stiletto. at all...just like if you were able to switch the stiletto to 6l6, it wouldnt sound anything like a recto. The change would be similar to switching between el34 and kt77 in a stiletto. A small shift in the promiment frequencies, but the basic character is the same.

i just retubed my single recto with e34ls, which are similar to el34s. the bass got noticably tighter and the distortion a little bit smoother. imo e34ls are better than the 6l6s, and im probably going to stick with them from now on.

I use EL34Ls in my dual rec, they are light years better in my opinion (Mesa got the bias correct in the EL34 mode according to Bob from Eurotubes).

I can't see myself going back, but I love the sound of EL34's as it is so my opinion may be biased (ignore terrible pun).

If you want to hear what they sound like, check my thread in the Rigs/Tones forum. I am using them with two EL84's but you will get the idea.

I probably have no business answering this as I have niether a Stiletto or a Recto. I do, however, have mucho experience with EL34's and here's what I have to say.... If you play with your amp cranked, I bet you'll hear a much more musical distortion.

jackieTHEjokeman said:
Okay. But still, how does the Rect sound with EL's? Any examples or similarities that anyone can share? Thanks.
Less sizzle on the top end, less boom on the bottom end. There is a noticable mid-shift of frequencies!

Made mine sound more compressed and took away some of the 6L6 thump from the palm mutes. I didn't like them and put the 6L6s back in.

I like to call it a "growling" sound. Very dark and almost primal. The 6l6 are "sweeter" and what most people assoc. w/ a recto

Latest posts

Back