How does a 2x12 vertical recto cab compare?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newfinator

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a 2x12 vertical retco cab for a Mark IV and am wondering how they compare to other 2x12 and 4x12 cabinets. I currently have a Marshall 4x12 and a Carvin 2x12 and judging by the specs the mesa seems to be scaled somewhere in between the two. I am wondering then, speakers aside, does it provide a sound between the two as well?

I'd also be curious how it would sound compared to a theile.

Any opinions?

I have two of them and a 4x12 Stiletto.

I think they sound better than the horizontal by far. The Vertical is definitely between the horizontal and the 4x12 but it is more on the side of the 4x12.

It is a sound of it's own, but in a great way. Again, closer to the 4x12. Great cab.

jman7272 said:
I have two of them and a 4x12 Stiletto.

I think they sound better than the horizontal by far. The Vertical is definitely between the horizontal and the 4x12 but it is more on the side of the 4x12.

It is a sound of it's own, but in a great way. Again, closer to the 4x12. Great cab.
Thanks for the reply.

So, you think it would be a good tonal match for a Mark IV combo? I don't know if I'd run the cabinet with the internal speaker or instead of it but I guess I can experiment to see what sounds better if I get the cabinet. My Marshall cab has the Eminence "The Governors" and Celestion G75Ts in an X pattern. I thought it might sound good with that but the cabinet is a bit wide for where I want it so I'm thinking of this 2x12 instead.

Not that you asked, but the reason I want the vertical over the horizontal is really due to the space requirements in my practice space.

I have never tried a Recto vertical 2x12, but I have owned a Engl with V30 for some time and it did not sound very different from my Recto 4x12.

Latest posts

Back