How do you use the Raw and Vintage modes??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elpelotero

Reaction score
Clean, Pushed, and Modern are obvious...

How do you personally use the Raw and Vintage modes on your Rectifiers?? Im fairly new at this game and was wondering. Settings welcome w/ a description of the sound. Thanks!

I use the Vintage mode on Channel 2 quite a bit. To me, it sounds very Marshally. Less bottom and less of a mid scoop.

Elpelotero said:
Clean, Pushed, and Modern are obvious...

How do you personally use the Raw and Vintage modes on your Rectifiers?? Im fairly new at this game and was wondering. Settings welcome w/ a description of the sound. Thanks!

I'm very new to Mesas, just got a RectoVerb (dumb name, great amp). I seem to be staying in Vintage mode a lot -

gain between 10 and 3 (o'clock)
treble about 12
mid about 8
bass around 9
presence 11 to 1

This is what seems "right" to me. Of course, that's just me. Gain varies on the guitar and what I'm playing. For vintage crunch with a Les Paul, I keep the gain on the low side and up the mids a bit. For harder edge stuff with the SG, gain it up to 3 and keep the mids low, bass to taste always.

The Raw mode I usually set up mostly the same way with more mids, and a bit more treble for a neck pickup bluesy sound.

I'm still learning the Modern mode and Pushed. Although from what I've found so far there's a Whole Lotta Rosie in Pushed mode just wating for me.

I did so much research before buying this amp, I must have read the manual 4 or 5 times before actually trying the amp. I knew how the controls worked together and that is key to getting good sounds out of it. There's really good advice in there!

~fredster

I have a rect-o-verb and never use raw. I don't like it, it's not usable for me (yet)
I mostly use vintage with gain around 12 to 3 o'clock, treble 1-2, mid, 10-11, bass 1-3, presence 10-3, reverb 10-5, preamp 9, volume 9-10.

Modern I only use in band situations, gets me better through the mix.
Clean and pushed is also being used, but that varies, mostly played with a les paul.

Raw = AC/DC, Tom Petty, Tragically Hip, Blues/Boogie Woogie
Vintage = Van Halen, Weezer, Foo Fighters, 80's hair metal and everything else that is not hyper-metal
Modern = Hyper Metal!

I use the Vintage setting almost exclusively - mostly because I usually forget to change it to Raw when doing lighter stuff. The Vintage sound on the Single Recto is very close to a modded marshall and that is the sound I like most of the time. Seriously, why buy a Marshall when you can get 95% close + have all the other boogie options.

chennie said:
I have a rect-o-verb and never use raw. I don't like it, it's not usable for me (yet)
I mostly use vintage with gain around 12 to 3 o'clock, treble 1-2, mid, 10-11, bass 1-3, presence 10-3, reverb 10-5, preamp 9, volume 9-10.

Modern I only use in band situations, gets me better through the mix.
Clean and pushed is also being used, but that varies, mostly played with a les paul.

I was playing around with Raw mode more last night, some nice crunch there too. What a cool amp!

Chennie,
How did your sound change after you converted your combo to a head? I wonder how the open back combo sounds compared to a closed back cabinet.

~fredster

well the amp remains practicly the same. So no changes on that. To me,
the cabinet sounds better, because with the removal of the chassis, it became oversized. It has more bass and a bit more definition to me, a bit warmer. The back is still the same, so I didn't made it all closed back.

I play a bit more metal/hardcore/punk/rock, so a bit on the heavy side with now and then some more softer things. The combo back is standard around 3/4 closed back. I like this. I tried it open, and that plainly sucked for me. Seemed barely alive. All closed back is something I never tried.

Vintage is my favorite mode in the world!!

Gain 3:00
Treb 12:00
Mids 10:30
Bass 9:00 to 11:00
pres 11:00

Heres a link to a clip of nothing but the Vintage mode on channel 3 on my Road King (same as channel 2 on a 3 channel dual or triple recto). Go to the Road King clip page and click play on "RK rock". The other song (RK slow) is the clean and brit mode on the Road King.

http://www.guitartest.moonfruit.com/

Vintage is what I use the most actually, I rarely if ever use the Raw mode because I can get the same sound by turning the volume on my guitar lower.

Back