how do you mod a mark IVa to have footswitchable reverb?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimAnsell

Reaction score
for some reason that amp has 2 fx loop switches. one on the bottom of the chassis, and one in the midi matrix jack section.
the hell is that about?

how can you turn one of those jacks into a reverb footswitch jack?
i've seen it on IVa's on ebay before.

The jack on the bottom of the chasis is for controlling the EQ section of a Simul-Satelite amp. It matches the state of the graphic EQ (on/off). The reverb can be made footswitchable fairly easily. You'll need an RCA cable Y splitter with 1 male and two female RCA plugs. The male end connects to the amp chasis where the gray reverb cable (return) is connected. The gray reverb cable connects to one female sides of the Y splitter and the other you can connect to a latching footswitch. When the switch is closed, the reverb signal is shorted to ground and none gets sent back to the amp. You could pull the chasis and wire this all internally to a panel mounted jack too. I use a Line6 Verbzilla myself, as I hate reaching arround the amp to adjust the verb all the time.

... Not to mention the reverb on the MIV is pretty bad ... But then again i don't like spring reverb to start with. The Stiletto is the first Mesa i've owned without reverb. That's fine with me! I like the reverb on my GT-8 MUCH better than any of Mesa's reverbs. The Roadster had nice reverb, but other than that it's just a waste IMO...

Don't get me wrong, I think the Mark IV has an awesome reverb. It's very smooth and almost haunting. Not overly "boingy" like some spring reverbs can get. I just think it's not very versatile or convenient, having only one master reverb control on the back panel. The reverb is also located in front of the FX loop in the signal chain. With a chorus pedal in the loop, you get chorused reverb, which can sound muddy. I prefer reverb to be at the end of the chain.

mr_fender said:
The reverb is also located in front of the FX loop in the signal chain. With a chorus pedal in the loop, you get chorused reverb, which can sound muddy. I prefer reverb to be at the end of the chain.

Maybe that's why I didn't like the verb on the MIV...

MusicManJP6 said:
mr_fender said:
The reverb is also located in front of the FX loop in the signal chain. With a chorus pedal in the loop, you get chorused reverb, which can sound muddy. I prefer reverb to be at the end of the chain.

Maybe that's why I didn't like the verb on the MIV...

Having an A version versus a B version makes quite a difference in the quality of the reverb. As I've said before, the A sounds much better!

Latest posts

Back