How do you know when you need new power tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth155

Reaction score
for a 50-cal+
what are the symptoms that would indicate that you need a new set of 6L6s?

Hello. Symptoms may include all or part of the following;
decreased frequency response, for example it sounds as though highs and lows have been cut.
Your amp may also not be as loud at a particular setting as it was before;5 or6 might sound like 3.
Mushy bass response.
Some tubes might become microphonic and cause whistling or feedback.
I've found decreased dynamics and lower volumes at settings which were normally much louder to be the most common.

thanks for the help
funny you mention mushy bass response
i'm quite the tube-tard
are there any particular brands of 6L6? online stores?

I've personally have enjoyed superb service (multiple times, if that tells you something :) ) with both
"kcanostubes" and "tubedepot" ...look them up for their exact websites. Many others also have reported good dealings with DougsTubes, though I have never dealth with him.

As for a good 6L6, the SED "Winged C" is excellent, and sounds better to my ears than the stock Mesa 420 or 430s. If you get the SED tubes, make sure you get the real Russian tubes and not the ReIssue ones.

Edward

i looked on tube depot
how come the SED 6L6 are so much more expensive than the other brands?

seth155 said:
i looked on tube depot
how come the SED 6L6 are so much more expensive than the other brands?

Because these SED so-called "Winged-C" tubes enjoy a reputation of sounding great. This is true of other tubes, as well. Price some NOS EL34 or 12AX7s ...these SEDs will immediately look like a bargain by comparison! ;)
It's the law of demand and constantly diminishing supply of old tubes (as opposed to tubes that are in current-production, often labeled "ReIssue" ...NewSensor Corp comes to mind).

Edward

Latest posts

Back