how do you guys feel about 60 watt mark III's?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimAnsell

Reaction score
i've never played one.
i had a 60 watt c+, and i thought it sounded great.
can you really hear the extra power tube saturation in the 60 watters?

Mines not as loud as a Mark IV. Don't have much of a basis for comparison...I have messed around with it dimed, but that doesn't help our cause.

All other variables being equal, 60 watts sounds about 85% as loud as 100 watts. It will sound a bit thinner and can't hold the cleans as well though.

One of mine is a 60 and it's 100% MarkIII tone. I prefer to run 5881's in it as that seems to almost cop the simul vibe: a little smoother on the top end. The 60 I have started out as a purple stripe (modding the R2 up to Red Stripe gain really helps) and runs slightly higher voltage to the preamp than a simul or 100. Honestly great sounding amps, I have no prejudice against them at all and it has more than enough volume for anything I've used it for. Unless you just want to carry around an extra 15lbs. of iron don't be afraid to try it.

JOEY B. said:
HOW LOUD DO YOU PLAY!!!!!

WHAT 'CHA SAY????

What this means is that by the time that you get the 6L6's into power tube saturation, the volume will be quite high. They look to be great amps, especially at the prices that they fetch on the used market. Cheaper to retube down the road, as well.

I'm glad you took time to translate that Joey :p

Yeah my amp is way louder than I'd ever need anyway. The unmic'd stadium exception applies of course.

Latest posts

Back