How do YOU break new speakers in?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are specifically the characteristics of a new speaker? I had my Dual Recto DIALED for my tried and true Peavey cab, and just bought a Recto cab from a buddy who bought it new about 5 years ago and has played MAYBE a total of 6 hours on it.

It has Vintage 30's wired with Monster cable, and to be honest, the cab doesnt even touch my Peavey. There is a real harsh high end that I can not dial out and thats with the presence at zero on channel 3!!! I changed the EL34's with KT77's and they made a huge difference, but still. This is a freaking Mesa cab!! Should I just wait it out? Return it? Any thoughts?

fluff191 said:
What are specifically the characteristics of a new speaker? I had my Dual Recto DIALED for my tried and true Peavey cab, and just bought a Recto cab from a buddy who bought it new about 5 years ago and has played MAYBE a total of 6 hours on it.

It has Vintage 30's wired with Monster cable, and to be honest, the cab doesnt even touch my Peavey. There is a real harsh high end that I can not dial out and thats with the presence at zero on channel 3!!! I changed the EL34's with KT77's and they made a huge difference, but still. This is a freaking Mesa cab!! Should I just wait it out? Return it? Any thoughts?

What speakers are in your Peavey cab? V30s are very aggressive compared to most speakers. You might not be a V30 fan!

fluff191 said:

I've found that most speakers sound harsh and brittle when they're still pretty new. Once they loosen up they warm up and the bottom end fills out better.

The speakers in the Peavey cab are the Triple XXX speakers, basically Peaveys version of a V30's.....It has alot of attack but is still pretty warm. I play post-harcore and punk music, so I thought the V30 would be the perfect speaker as I go for a warmer, rounded distorted tone. I dont like alot of spikey high end. I guess I will give it some time and go from there...?

fluff191 said:
The speakers in the Peavey cab are the Triple XXX speakers, basically Peaveys version of a V30's.....It has alot of attack but is still pretty warm. I play post-harcore and punk music, so I thought the V30 would be the perfect speaker as I go for a warmer, rounded distorted tone. I dont like alot of spikey high end. I guess I will give it some time and go from there...?

That's what I would do. It should be worth the time!

Okie doke. Thanks for the input guys! I will keep ya posted on the cab. Im thinking of just hooking a jazz record up to it for a day or 2 haha.

fluff191
I would definitely give it time to soften up.
Keep feeding it that punk!!!
Like I said earlier, when I tested my two Recto cabinets side by side.
I could not believe how much better my older, more "seasoned" cabinet sounded compared to the newer one I have.

Alright stupid question ahead!!!!

I just received my first stilleto cab (been using the recto)
How do you hookup the cabinet with a stereo or cd player; i guess the ohmage here doesnt matter? and how loud should it be?

Thanks!

rispsira said:
Alright stupid question ahead!!!!

I just received my first stilleto cab (been using the recto)
How do you hookup the cabinet with a stereo or cd player; i guess the ohmage here doesnt matter? and how loud should it be?

Thanks!

From a stereo, detach one of the stereo speakers (either left or right, doesn't matter) and wire the cab in it's place. You might need to cut up a speaker cable and strip one end back so that you can connect the stripped pair to the stereo and the 1/4 inch jack end to the cab.

On a CD player... won't work. The headphone out on a CD player doesn't have the power to bother.

As for how loud, it depends on how much power your stereo has and the taper of the volume knob. This is a use your best judgement thing... unless you use PA speakers in your livingroom a guitar 4x12 will likely be the loudest set of speakers you've ever heard in a home... as in expect the cops type loud. Chances are you won't be able to dime it anyway.

I'd suggest sticking to rock music and avoiding bass heavy music like dance, house, or even nu-metal and some modern metal. The speakers are loud speakers, not woofers.

It's normal to smell a bit of a paper smell as the speakers are worked in. It's the cone flexing and tossing off some particles in the process. If it smells acrid, like electronics burning up, you should probably turn it down a bit, and start saving for new speakers because you just burnt your voice coil. Unfortunately there's no middle ground... the coil is either burning up or it's not... so it's best to play it conservative when selecting your volume.

Anyway... this will speed up the process a little, but expect to still have to break them in when you're done. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere and can crank the stereo up some, you're only going to break them in for a small part of their range. You'll be able to tell because the next time you fire your guitar up loud you'll smell the paper cone smell again. In this regard, nothing beats hours of wailing away with a guitar. It's why I don't bother with the stereo break in process.

thank you screamingdazy very interesting and informative post!

I totally agree that theres nothing like playing guitar! unfortunately we (my band and i) are waiting for a new rehearsal studio to be ready (soundproof etc) so far my cabs are in the living room cause theres no place elsewhere and all my gear is in my room where i had to take out a bed in peices for them to fit (there were two beds) LOL!!

Anyway thanks again!!

Latest posts

Back