How do I get a "brown" sound?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I've got a 3-channel Dual Rectifier and was wondering what settings might work, or what I might try, to get a vintage "brown" sound.

Also, what other settings have you found to be really good?

Thanks

here you go!

brownsoundqf0.jpg

You'll probably want to try it on either raw or vintage mode with everything about noon and crank the volume. You'll probably want it on tube recto and spongy power. The trick to the brown sound is getting those output tubes working. You'll also want to use el34's instead of 6l6's. I've never tried to nail that sound, so I don't know how close you'll get, but that's a start.

That's actually pretty funny, however, not very useful. Haha. All I want to know is do the knobs go to 11 on the 'brown' amp?!

i tried to get a brown sound with my Tremoverb,put EL34 in it and used a Hotplate to get those pwr tubes cookin.i really didnt like it.now i have a Stiletto Deuce and am much happier

Actually I've heard (from apparently reliable sources) that EVH didn't use EL34's in his Marshall amp on the first 2 albums. He used KT88's which have a fuller low end, in general kind of in between EL34's and 6L6's.

So I don't think that's a crucial aspect of being "brown". I've been very surprised at discovering the "brown" sound by accident using a Fender Evil Twin as I've described in another post.

If you really want something, don't be passive. Seek and ye shall find.

fpoon said:
18&Life said:
brown ?
Hummmmmmm maybe in your bathroom ? ! :lol:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=18373&highlight=sombra

That link would look pretty good in alot of signatures huh? *hint hint*

To the thread starter: I don't own a recto (want one though) but I'd also recommend EL34s.

I think I recall reading somewhere a while back that a turned down tone knob attributes to the brown sound a bit (I don't know at which level). Who knows, I never got into brown sound.

What I do know is last night I turned my guitars tone knob to 1 and kicked in the JVMs OD2 Red w/ mids cranked and got an interesting usable vintage-like fuzz box-like tone.

Hope this helps someone somehow.

I don't know if you realize how crazy it sounds to ask how to get the Brown sound (the epitome of Marshall tone) on a Mesa Dual Recto (the polar opposite of a Marshall). Brown sound = cranked Marshall Plexi. You aren't getting that sound on a Dual Recto.

Bro, brown sound is old Marshall. Try Ebay.

Buy a used Plexi or an 80's 2203 100 watt w/ KT66's. I think the KT66 models sounded awsome.

Brown can definitely be had in old Marshalls...

However, I do not believe I ever saw a stock 2203 equipped with KT66's.

I believe you might be thinking of 6550's as the US versions were loaded this way.

Run your amp in vintage mode, using the tube rectifier and put it on spongy. That will get you the closest brown sound out of a recto and possibly put el34's in for the power amp tubes.

If you ever have read your Mesa Manual for Rectifiers is specifically says "brown" sound in a couple parts. :)

For a Roadster maybe try Brit setting with the tube rectifier and spongy setting. You might want to add a boost though

you can start by getting a marshall plexi head and getting a variac and a 4x12 with enough room to literally push the master volume to 10.

oh and a guitar with paf humbuckers. and an sm57, and a neve 1073 board and a urei compressor or whatever the **** the compressors used on VH I were. and a whole bunch of other minor stuff.

or you can just be eddie van halen.

however having an old marshall head helps alot otherwise just do your best to keep everythign as vintage, very moderately gainy and as much excessive master volume as possible.

To get a true brown sound you would need to lower the voltage to your tubes. This can only be accomplished by regulating the power supply voltage in your amp. Have your tech do it for you.

Back