How do i determine what revision i have / comparison ADA MP1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soldoogie

Reaction score
HI all

Ive read up a few threads but no real straight answer. I have a 2ch Dual Rectifier solo head with serial R-013885 .. can you tell by the serial what revision it is? I dont think it even matters to me however if i wanted to sell (dont use it too much) id like to know im advertising with an appropriate price in mind.. i will prob get crusified for even suggesting this in this forum :DDD BUTT i was wondering how does the ADA MP1 compare.. i know its no dual rectifier head however i think the head i have is overkill for me.. i love it and its a BEAST but i only play it at home for some heavy metallica type songs and thats it .. i was wondering if i'd be better off selling the head to someone who would use it to its full capacity and just buy an ADA mp1 for my 80's and heavy sounds.. Everytime i turn on the rect i go "ohhh no way im selling this baby" hehehe its awesome .. but i have to be realistic aswell. I have a soldano x88r preamp with VHT KT88 poweramp .. so i was kinda thinking to find an ada mp1 and add it to the rack for those odd occasions that i want that old skool heavy metal sound..

Realistic opinions appreciated.. im a gear ***** and dont like to sell however sometimes you have to think realistically and functionality. Its money sitting in the amp that im not really using.

Ill pass over the talking stick to however wants to start :D

EDIT: maybe i should get an ad mp1 and compare before i let go of the beast

soldoogie said:
HI all

Ive read up a few threads but no real straight answer. I have a 2ch Dual Rectifier solo head with serial R-013885 .. can you tell by the serial what revision it is?

Rev G.

That's probably a good idea.

:)

screamingdaisy said:
soldoogie said:
HI all

Ive read up a few threads but no real straight answer. I have a 2ch Dual Rectifier solo head with serial R-013885 .. can you tell by the serial what revision it is?

Rev G.

That's probably a good idea.

:)

Hi thank you for the quick reply!! i kinda answered my own question .. but thanks for letting me know what rev it is .. G huh .. so what does that mean lol.. good or bad or indifferent.

soldoogie said:
Hi thank you for the quick reply!! i kinda answered my own question .. but thanks for letting me know what rev it is .. G huh .. so what does that mean lol.. good or bad or indifferent.

Indifferent. It's a run of the mill 2 channel Dual Rectifier, which means it sells for what any other 2 channel Recto would go for ($800-$1100 used, depending on the cosmetic condition and how badly the buyer wants one). But... it's also a 2 channel Dual Rectifier, which is still a good thing.

screamingdaisy said:
soldoogie said:

Indifferent. It's a run of the mill 2 channel Dual Rectifier, which means it sells for what any other 2 channel Recto would go for ($800-$1100 used, depending on the cosmetic condition and how badly the buyer wants one). But... it's also a 2 channel Dual Rectifier, which is still a good thing.

ahhh ok. I bought it 10+years ago and it hasnt left my bedroom :D but thanks for that.. i think first step is to try the ada and see if im happy with it or not so i can decide whether its over kill for me or not. THanks for your quick response. Cleared things up for me.

I don't think you'll get a crushing metallica type tone out of the MP-1. You'll probably get a good solo tone similar to what kirk was using during ride the lighting and master of puppets. I believe he was using one at the time. It'll get you a good 80's tone though. The dual rectifier you have is the most common of the two channels but it also had all the quirks and deficiencies worked out of it. I have a revision G triple and it's a good solid amp. I also modded an MP-1 with the 6.66 mod I think it was and it was pretty good. I sold it and got a stock MP-1 because I had the high gain area covered and wanted a stock one again.

msi said:
I don't think you'll get a crushing metallica type tone out of the MP-1. You'll probably get a good solo tone similar to what kirk was using during ride the lighting and master of puppets. I believe he was using one at the time. It'll get you a good 80's tone though. The dual rectifier you have is the most common of the two channels but it also had all the quirks and deficiencies worked out of it. I have a revision G triple and it's a good solid amp. I also modded an MP-1 with the 6.66 mod I think it was and it was pretty good. I sold it and got a stock MP-1 because I had the high gain area covered and wanted a stock one again.
Hi thanks for the reply. Im contemplating getting a dual recro preamp i saw cheap local to me but i dont kno how it would go with the vht 2902 p/amp with kt88s. Or ifi should look T the ada still.. I guess i more want itfor solos and 80s sound and the occassional metallica riff fix :p... Boy decisions. I cant testany of this stuff which makes it harder

first of, it don´t have a 2ch recto but i own a 3ch and a roadster and an ADA mp-1 (for home use).
i know your thoughts very well! i really like the sound coming form the MP-1 and i really like the sound coming from my mesa heads, and i´m often thinking about changing my setup from the two heads to MP-1 + a second preamp + 2:90 or 2:100....or a different power amp.
so i got the chance to get my hands on an older Engl 930 (i guess it was, 2x60 watt) power amp and wired the MP-1 to it.
i did the Mod3.1 to my MP-1, which is the updated version of the 5150/recto/SLO mod. it gets a cool sound-character with this simple mod, but you loose a bit of this singing, compressed feel of the stock MP-1 - but it´s o.k.

after all wired up, i placed a mic in front of my cab and did a quick sound-file recording with my main sounds of the dual recto and the roadster.
now i recorded the same file with the MP-1/Engl combination. with an FFT-filter (which is a nice sound-clone plugin for samplitude), i checked the sound differences and tried to match them as good as possible with the MP-1 EQ, presence knobs and deep-switch on the engl and the 3-band eq of the g-major. so i had a lot of options to tweak the sound of the 19" rack.
it took me about an hour or so, to get a sound as close as 95% to the originals. it was like this: recording the same phrase, checking with the FFT, slightly edit the EQ, record again, check again, edit the eq again.....until i thought it was the best result.

the sound was really cool, but what you can´t copy is the gain-structure of the roadster and dual recto. the gain-structure is different from the MP-1 even with the mod3.1

but i guess in a blind-side-by-side-test it would be hard to tell which is which.
sadly i didn´t do some recordings after i finished, and i can´t do it know, because i decided to go ahead with my mesa amps and took the engl back to the dealer.
at the moment the mp-1 is again at home just for practice and some quick recordings.... but you never know...

joe web said:
first of, it don´t have a 2ch recto but i own a 3ch and a roadster and an ADA mp-1 (for home use).
i know your thoughts very well! i really like the sound coming form the MP-1 and i really like the sound coming from my mesa heads, and i´m often thinking about changing my setup from the two heads to MP-1 + a second preamp + 2:90 or 2:100....or a different power amp.
so i got the chance to get my hands on an older Engl 930 (i guess it was, 2x60 watt) power amp and wired the MP-1 to it.
i did the Mod3.1 to my MP-1, which is the updated version of the 5150/recto/SLO mod. it gets a cool sound-character with this simple mod, but you loose a bit of this singing, compressed feel of the stock MP-1 - but it´s o.k.

after all wired up, i placed a mic in front of my cab and did a quick sound-file recording with my main sounds of the dual recto and the roadster.
now i recorded the same file with the MP-1/Engl combination. with an FFT-filter (which is a nice sound-clone plugin for samplitude), i checked the sound differences and tried to match them as good as possible with the MP-1 EQ, presence knobs and deep-switch on the engl and the 3-band eq of the g-major. so i had a lot of options to tweak the sound of the 19" rack.
it took me about an hour or so, to get a sound as close as 95% to the originals. it was like this: recording the same phrase, checking with the FFT, slightly edit the EQ, record again, check again, edit the eq again.....until i thought it was the best result.

the sound was really cool, but what you can´t copy is the gain-structure of the roadster and dual recto. the gain-structure is different from the MP-1 even with the mod3.1

but i guess in a blind-side-by-side-test it would be hard to tell which is which.
sadly i didn´t do some recordings after i finished, and i can´t do it know, because i decided to go ahead with my mesa amps and took the engl back to the dealer.
at the moment the mp-1 is again at home just for practice and some quick recordings.... but you never know...

interesting. well i have my ada mp1 on its way so ill be sure to make a comparison.. i dont NEED a full rectifier sound even though its pretty awesome and everytime i play on it i think "im soo not selling this!!!" lol ..its unmodded. as i wanted to try it as it is. through a VHT 2902 im sure its going to rock no matter.. im not recording just jamming at home for now until i get back on stage.. if ever :( .. i dont care as long as i can rattle some neighbors windows and and blow some panties off with some cool licks and riffs thats all i care about :D

Back