how do I boost my amp with a Boss DS-1 ???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The answer to your question is... very carefully :shock: .

All kidding aside, the DS-1 isn't a boost pedal. It is full-on distortion. I have one and I'm thinking of dumping it because it just isn't necessary with a Mesa amp. If you are talking about boosting your gain channel to give it more balls, an overdrive pedal that you can set drive low and level high on, works much better IMHO. A clean overdrive boost is all you need to give your high gain channel a kick in the pants. Anything more than that and you lose clarity and definition.

petrucci111 said:
oh.. but i think i heard JP uses a ds 1 to boost .. or i am wrong :?:

Yes, he did. I'm not sure if he still does.

Look at this, these are his settings:
http://www.johnpetrucci.com/images/jp_studioequip3.jpg

Cool pic - thanks for sharing. He clearly has a mod ds-1 (looks like Keeley). Also notice he's got dist knob almost all the way up - that's heavy distortion, not boost.

insideout said:
Cool pic - thanks for sharing. He clearly has a mod ds-1 (looks like Keeley). Also notice he's got dist knob almost all the way up - that's heavy distortion, not boost.
I was watching an interview and he said Joe Satriani gave Petrucci his DS-1 while they were on the G3 tour.

DBDbadreligion said:
I was watching an interview and he said Joe Satriani gave Petrucci his DS-1 while they were on the G3 tour.

Precisely why I want to go on tour with them :shock:
:lol:

Like someone said before, turn the distortion down all the way (somtimes I have it up just a tiny bit) and then turn the level all the way up. This kind of things works with any kind of distortions pedal/overdrive pedal/compressor. You are just slamming into the preamp tubes with a hot signal.

I used to have a Japanese Boss DS-1 that I used to boosting my single rectofier for solos. I was stupid and sold the pedal because I thought a modded one would be better. It wasn't.

That was the best lead sound I have had yet.

insideout said:

I would take that picture with a grain of salt. The DS-1 is just sitting there with a bunch of other pedals and is not being used. I would say that those are not necessarily Petrucci's settings. There's no way to know when was last last time he used that pedal (if at all) and with what amp. He could have been messing around with it through the clean channel of a Lonestar for all we know.

It would be different if it was a shot of his pedal board/rack that is in current use.

Latest posts

Back