How did you guys learn about these effects companies?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoangus

Reaction score
I'm a bit old to be hanging out at a music store (it would look kind of, no scratch that, it would look REALLY creepy). Back when I first started playing, it was basically MXR, Ibanez, TC Elec and Boss. Now there are so many "custom" manufactures, I don't even know where to learn what is what and what they'd sound like?

Other than reading the manufacturer's ads telling you why there's is the best, where can one go to learn what they'd sound like? By the way, a couple of local shops around here don't even carry some of the names I read here, so I can't try that. And I don't think the wife would be excited with the buy and try and throw it in the closet cause it sounds like crap, approach.

Thanks,

geo

hmmmmm. interesting question u got there. most of these manufactures have websites that have demos. usualy only on stompboxes though. if u want to by a loop station or fx baord, theres usualy no demos. The music store that i go too, is all ages. i see 10 year olds to 80 year olds all the time. music is music. ur not going to a club you know. And i'll be honest. demos on the computer usually sound NOTHING like the actaully product. i mean the sound of a chorus will be the sound of a chorus you know. but till u try the actaul piece of gear plugged in.... u never know its true sound. another great thing about the store i go to is they let u take **** home for a few days if u'd like to use it on your own gear. which i LOVE. and well if u want honest opipions. boards such as these will help u find out what real ppl think. cause face it. a manufacture is not going to write a bad article on their own pedals. so yeah. there you have it. but i URGE YOU TO GO OUT THERE. doesn't matter how young you are. Music is Music brother.

geoangus...

I found most of the "boutique" companies just by playing out in my band...talking to other musicians who came to see us, and looking at other poeple's stuff. Sometimes entering a generic search on ebay like "chorus" or "analog pedal" turns up some interesting stuff.

But I do agree with Hogan...boards like this are the best for hearing what real musician's think.

Also, although their reviews have sometimes been busted as phonies (not very often) go to Harmony central and look on the effects review page. I couldn't believe the number of manufacturers that are out there.

Check it out...its a great time to be a guitarist.

RB

All great advice above and one more thing: What's this too old to go a music store crap?

The minute you start to think you look/feel too old, you ARE too old.

Just prepare yourself for the music store shred-heads who can do sweep arpeggios all day long but cannot string two chords together :D

All the above are great ways to learn about new effects. Occasionally, if your local music store has a guest musician come in or hold a seminar, then occasionally a piece of gear will get promoted.

Don't feel that you're too old to go to the music store. There's a more gray hair going in there than you might think, although, it's more likely when the kids are in school. :wink:

If you are looking for a particular type of effect, just ask on the forum. I'm sure that you'll get some great responses.

about the old comment - it's not that i'm old, it's just that I've not played for ten years, so I really stink right now, so I'm a little embarassed to show up at a shop and butcher something from the 80's. Having just picked up a MkIII blue stripe, I'm in the market for some effects, and then a guitar upgrade. I'm think chorus and delay first.

What I'm looking at is a G major, one because TC Elec has always built top quality gear. Besides the effects, I'm hoping the noise gate will reduce some of the hum out of my pups. Also, I've always liked the cleanliness of rack gear.

All that said, I read the positive comments about the Choralflange, that I must say I'm interested. The local shop here just burned down:

http://juniorsmusic.com/The%20Aftermath.htm

so its tough to find a place to demo it, but there's another shop an hour away.

I'm also on the fence about distortion/tube screamer type pedal. I don't get a chance to air the Mesa out as much as I'd like, so I'm wondering if a pedal might help the lower volume tones. It sounds too compressed right now, but I'm still learning the amp.

Anyways, thanks for all of your comments. Its great to have found a forum where even a rusty fortysomething like myself can feel welcome.

geo

From one rusty forty-something to another, I think it's great that you're picking it back up. Just within the last 3 years have I really got back into playing. I try and remember what a great guitarist, studio owner, and overall great muscian once told me: "It's music! It's art! It's not a sports event! We're not atheletes, but muscians. We guitarist are the worst at being pompous!" I have tried to take this to heart. I still try to push my boundaries and solve all the mysteries of the fretboard, but I still find immense satisfaction in playing one chord and just reveling in the tone and feel of it. There's great freedom in knowing that even if the rest of the world thinks I stink, I ENJOY it! So, go in that music store and play your one chord or lick and see if that thing you're testing moves you. You'll probably discover like I have after starting back, that your taste and feel and what you enjoy hearing yourself play is different than what you played back then and you'll go through some gear. I've totally gravitated away from what I mainly liked back then since getting back into it. I guess it's part of discovering your own voice. Happy hunting!

PS. I have the G-major and it is a nice unit for basic effects. I've found that I mainly use it for time based effects though. Don't really care for its pitch/filter effects. Overdives come in all shapes and sizes. I'm using a Homebrew PowerScreamer right now just to push my already overdriven amp. Joel at Homebrew makes great stuff and seems to be a very nice guy. I bought the PowerScreamer without even hearing it after I bought his UFO fuzz pedal. Nobody at the store I bought the UFO from had even tried it. The moment I started playing it, everyone was coming over asking what it was. Throw a good wah in the mix and you get some really moving sounds.I love these pedals. Good luck!

but I still find immense satisfaction in playing one chord and just reveling in the tone and feel of it. There's great freedom in knowing that even if the rest of the world thinks I stink, I ENJOY it!

This just needed to be repeated. :D

PS: I find that at 40, I understand the guitar more and am a much better player than I ever was in my twenties... and that's with about a 5 year lay off as I didn't pick it back up until a few years ago...

Thanks for the encouragement. While excessive volume has damaged my hearing, I have a better appreciation for tone now that I’m in my mid-40’s than I did in my 20’s.

You’re right about the pompousness of guitarists. One of the things that has always stuck with me since the time I stopped playing back in the 90’s was when a friend told me that I was able to do something that thousands of people would love to be able to do. And he was right. I know I’ll never be Eric Johnson, but I was talented enough to enjoy playing in a band and have people say “You Rock!!” even on nights I know I stunk up the joint. So now, I’m hoping to regain some of those lost skills, and have some fun, even if its only in a small home studio.

i like it!

geo

shoot, when i was 40 somthing, i had acne! turned 52 this year and still frequent the local music stores and i will untill the end!

hey, I'm 46 and probably hit the music shop (aka candy store) once a week just to try out new stuff. I'm no shredder, just take in what I know and chord through things as that seems to give me the best feel for an effect or an amp. When you plunk down a $100 no one in the store seems to mind you stopped in. My bass player is also 46 and he always does the same.

Reviews on Harmony Central and Musicians Friend are helpful as long as you can read through the BS. People tend to rave about products in reviews, but you can start to pick up on what's real if you read enough about them. I normally would not buy on reviews, but I did last week with a Barber Tone Press because I couldn't find one in town. It turned out that the product was just like many of the reviews and it's a great pedal. Outside of delays, I'm off the Boss effects now that I've seen the light. Really liking Xotic, Barber, MI, etc. Boutiques can be great, you just have to go to the websites and figure out where their dealers are.

I look at the small ads in the back of mags like Guitar Player and then check websites. Lots of cool stuff in the boutique market....and if you shop used on Ebay you can get that stuff for a nice price.

hey Geoangus, did you get yourself to a music store yet? Us Boogie Boarders want a full report!!!!

Geoangus,

First of all, I just hit 53 this month and spend about half of my time in music stores. It's my second home now that I picked it up again three years ago. Keeps your mind and fingers nimble.

As far as the whole effects can-'O-worms goes, first try to figure out what kind of sound alteration you are looking for. i.e. Overdrive, Distortation, Modulation, Delay/Reverb? and start form there.

Much of my education was by trial and error and in this area it can't be avoided. You're going to find some winneres AND loosers. However you can minimize the exercise by targeting companies with an established reputation in the industry such as those you mentioned. e.g. MXR, Boss.
And oh yes, read, read, read everything you can get your hands on about effects. Your local retail music store may sitll have the May issue of Guitar Player there. Get it. Great article on this subject.

You are going to find EVERYONE has an opinon on what they see as being the best. Totally subjective. Just remember that.

My only advice is (other that you get what you pay for) is to pick a company like Boss or MXRand start there. Chances are that you will find about 75% of those to your liking.

Then you can start looking at power supplies, switchers, loopers and all the other related crap that will suck your money up faster than a spounge.

It's a disease but at least it's a healthy one.

Best of luck and let us know how it's going.

check out Harmony Central's list of Effects Manufacturers. there are links for each companies page. Sometimes when I get bored at work I go through there and read about all the companies and what they are coming out with and what interesting ideas people are creating. Some companies are just coming out with pedals that have been out for years but putting their name on the box. But then there are companies like Z.Vex and Pigtronix which are doing some pretty original stuff.

Back