How come only young bands play Mesas?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

espresso

Reaction score
I've yet to see guitarists from the 60s/70s generation playing Mesa Boogies. Does anyone know why? Maybe there are and I just don't know of any.

Pete Towshend fromt he who, lindsey buckingham plays a tremoverb, then you have 80's groups such as stryper, john sykes, night ranger. I am sure there are many many more groups from the late 70's to early 80's that played or still play boogies, you just see the young bands on the radio more.

siggy14 said:
Pete Towshend fromt he who, lindsey buckingham plays a tremoverb, then you have 80's groups such as stryper, john sykes, night ranger. I am sure there are many many more groups from the late 70's to early 80's that played or still play boogies, you just see the young bands on the radio more.

I love that "you just see the young bands on the radio more"! Gotta use that in my sig... awesome.

LOL ok correction, you see them more on TV, here them more on the radio.......................

Joshusama said:
siggy14 said:

I love that "you just see the young bands on the radio more"! Gotta use that in my sig... awesome.

siggy14 said:
LOL ok correction, you see them more on TV, here them more on the radio.......................
Don't you mean hear instead of here? :lol:

Most people try to get the sounds of their favorite music. Most of the music from the 60's and 70's was done on Fender, Marshall, Vox and Hiwatt. Those are the go to amps for vintage sounds. A lot of 80's guys go to Marshall and Mesa and now Mesa has kind of taken over as the go to amp for the modern sound. There are other companies that make modern sounding amps but most of those are like Bogner and Diezel that are just too much for normal people.

That's my theory on it anyway

Walter Trout has been a dedicated user for many years
from the Mark 1 up to the 4

he has some wicked blues commin out of those bad boys

Turumbar82 said:
Most people try to get the sounds of their favorite music. Most of the music from the 60's and 70's was done on Fender, Marshall, Vox and Hiwatt. Those are the go to amps for vintage sounds. A lot of 80's guys go to Marshall and Mesa and now Mesa has kind of taken over as the go to amp for the modern sound. There are other companies that make modern sounding amps but most of those are like Bogner and Diezel that are just too much for normal people.

That's my theory on it anyway

OK, that makes alot of sense.
I find that my Express 5:25 gets some great sounds and I'm mostly into pre 70s blues.

I am 55 years old and play in a British cover band. I own a Rectoverb and am able to get all the sounds I need from one amp. My AC30 and Marshall stay home.

phyrexia said:
I don't care about The Rolling Stones, but:

http://web.mac.com/mesaboogie/iWeb/Site/Keef%20Boogie.html

That's awesome. Frickin' excellent. You can actually see and hear a little of this amp in action here, I think... it's probably one of TWO of these in the background (Chuck Berry's using a Super, I think) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mD8q18-zcY

Another oldster, already mentioned: don't know if the track is real, but Pete used them and one of his is on camera here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_FZVD5lsAw

iM 40 AND LOVING MY ROADKING 1!
soulkissshow9-164.jpg

I was almost 45 when I got my first MESA/Boogie (a few months ago).
I had wanted one since I was young, though.

CudBucket said:
Uh, Dream Theater has been around over 20 years.

I was more thinking of the guitarists who've been around since the 60s and 70s. I guess my head is stuck in another era, the 80s were a long time ago, though. I'm not knocking Mesa, I've got a 5:25 that I love and am going to build an extension cab for it.

espresso said:
I've yet to see guitarists from the 60s/70s generation playing Mesa Boogies. Does anyone know why? Maybe there are and I just don't know of any.

Maybe it's something to do with the saying 'if it's too loud, you're to old' :p

Latest posts

Back