How Close Do Marks Get To Vintage Fenders?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Super Reverb Reissue and I have played and recorded with a number of blackface and silverface Fenders. My Mesa is a Mark III blue stripe 60W combo and I often use with with a custom with a Kendrick 18" speaker.

I find the Mesa is a mid-rangey amp in comparison. The Fenders have a ton more bass and treble. Huge difference to me... for me the Mesa is my classic rock amp, but for blues and memphis sould you can't beat the fender sound--the Mesa will do a more than adequate job, but it's not the same--plus for those styles I use trem a fair amount and the Fender trem is pretty good... better than the stomp box trem I use with the Mesa (a Marshall Vibra-Trem).

I find the best tone on the Mesa is with the Bass set very low. This does result in a mid-rangey tone, but cuts through very nicely in a two guitar band. Plus the low bass setting makes it easier to strike a balance between clean crunch and lead without the woofiness.

Back