Holy Smokes! POD X3 Live in the house!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vbf

Reaction score
Wow! This thing is crazy! I don't know if y'all are familiar with this contraption but man is it cool! Line 6 created a GUI that enables nearly instantaneous downloads of presets to the thing and they have hundreds of em'. Want an EVH tone? Done! Need the opening riff to "Crazy On You" to sound just like the record? It's wild. It stores them in your user banks nearly as quickly as they're selected. Push the save button, and at the click of your foot you've got near-signature tones. I'm anxious to crank my 5:50 through the ol' 4x12 and see how they sound at volume. Dang!!!! I don't know if it'll ever replace my pedal board. But if I can store enough tones and tweak the volumes correctly I may actually try and gig with it straight into the 5:50.

Lincoln Brewster (Christian artist and ex-Guitarist for Journey) uses nothing but a Pod X3 Live for his live rig. He uses a Vox AC-30 only as a monitor on stage. He was up front in saying that the presets are useless, but if it's good enough for him, that's saying something. He could play through anything he wants!

Lincoln Brewster is a very good guitar player and a studio engineer. I didn't know he played for Journey? How cool is that! I play in a contemporary Christian band and we covered a Lincoln Brewster song and I couldn't get anywhere near the leads. He's a very talented guy to be sure. And you're right, he uses an X3 Live exclusively. And he's right in so far as the stock patches are pretty much useless. :) It's definitely gonna take some time to learn how this booger works before I ever gig with it. It's a fairly complex device but the interface is pretty helpful. I'm gonna mull through all the tones in the Tone Library, download the ones I want, create some of my own, tweak the volumes etc, and get used to how the volume/wah works on each. I honestly don't know if it'll replace my pedal board coz I really really like my setup. But.....I'm open to it, albeit a great heresy. :)

Lincoln Brewster USED to us a Pod X3, he has since moved to using a Fractal Ultra-FX. Having said that, I agree that I love the x3, I've bought 2 of them! Maybe some day I'll get to try out a fractal, but until then the pod works great for me.

My other amp, apart from the 5:50, is a Line 6 Flextone III+ with an external cab and a FBV Shortboard. It's basically a POD X3 in a combo stereo amp.

It does not get as much playing time now since the Express arrived, but it really is a god amp. I have had it for several years and before that I had a Flextone II. The versatility is awesome. I can use the combo as is, or with the cab for twice the output effect (2x75W) or I can use it as a monitor on stage and use the balanced outputs (stereo) through the PA for larger gigs. And the sound quality is outstanding.

The drawback is that you'll have to make your presets by yourself preferably using a computer and then stick to them. It's hard to change something on the fly at stage. It can be done but it's a bit more complicated then using a normal amp. But if you make some good presets it's easy. I've gigged with it a lot and always got complimented for my tone.

The reason for me getting a Mesa was to have a simpler amp to gig with at times. And that I really like the Mesa tones.

Latest posts

Back