hmmmm - odd Mark IV behaviour

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topcat0399

Reaction score
Recently re-tubed the amp with the "Mark IV Premium Package" from thetubestore.
Its the 7025/=C= 6L6 set up. Did this to base line my amp before resuming my NOS tube rolling.

Sounded pretty good I must say.

So I pick up a set of new Electroharmonix EL34's at a music store and throw them in the outer sockets.

On class A/Tweed= R1 sounds all broken up and almost acts like I have a crappy noise gate on it.
R2 and R3 seem and actually sound pretty darn sweet.

When I flip it to "simul" R1 clears right up but R2 and R3 don't seem quite as sweet..

Anyone know what might be up?

All feedback welcome and and appreciated.

The old EH tubes I had when I first got my amp were not well matched. From what i've heard that's usually the case too unless someone hand matches the singles for you. On the up and up - I had the same experience; the tone was supreme, I may have even favored the lead tone more than I favor my current Sylvanias, it was just more me, but the cleans were so much harder to tame. Those were also the only tubes i've ever blown too...

Yes, might be one of the tubes is badly matched (or not at all) or just plain bad. I've got the exh EL34's (a matched set) in my outer tubes and they sound great in class A - all chimey and voxey in r1.

Back