Hi peoples: SOB value? I committed, but for what?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over a year later and I finally get the amp and I love it.

I need to clean the pots .. . but hey!. . . how's that for exciting?!

:)

Check Ebay for prices - I've only seen a couple SOBs on there over the last few years so it might be hard to find.

My opinion is that you could have saved another couple hundred dollars and got a Mark IIB or C or a Mark III or a Mark IV or a Recto or a Rectoverb.

rippingrudy said:
Check Ebay for prices - I've only seen a couple SOBs on there over the last few years so it might be hard to find.

My opinion is that you could have saved another couple hundred dollars and got a Mark IIB or C or a Mark III or a Mark IV or a Recto or a Rectoverb.
Naw . . . my innitial post was over a year ago . . . I waited a very long time to pick up the amp.

This SOB is somehow VERY special . . . Imean its tone is really something I have not found in any other amp . . . I put a Mullard 12AT7 in it and this thing outshines all contenders.

-its the 60watter, early '80s . .. I think people who talk about SOBs with even a slight disparagement must be talking about other models, other wattages, or something

Hi, just got myself a SOB 60Watt 1x12" combo.
Now I wonder what kind of driver tube (V3) is in yours. (mine came without tubes so.....?)
I found 2 schematics and they both use different tubes. (12AT7 or 12AX7)
Please tell me what type is in yours.
V3 is the one closest to the ON/OFF switch.

Shipping is going to be in the $75 neighborhood ...mesa combos are killer heavy. UPS and FedEx ground are the usual suspects, but if you want the absolute lowest shipping rate, go Greyhound! They are amazing, and in some cases faster since they carry, um, people that have to get from CA to WI.

The catch is that you need to have your friend pack it well as he would have to for the UPS, (take out tubes and wrap, lots of packing material, with lots of extra cardboard at the corners and sides, and make sure the amp/material are tight as 60+lbs will shift easily if loose in there), then drop it off at the local Greyhound station. He will ship it to the station nearest your town. That's it. I've saved lots of dough this way when shipping anything heavy or just awkward/bulky (like auto parts).

BTW, the 600 is a bit high, but the SOB will deliver some very nice tones. While not as versatile as its brethren, its still a great tone machine, nevertheless. Sorry, though, that this may have soured you with your former bud. Hope this helps you.

Edward

Hahaha ...I'm a major doof! I guess I should look at little details like that, eh? That's what I get for speedreading through ...doh!

Edward

gonzo said:
edward, did you even bother to read the post?

That is ok if edward offered the advice After the fella got his amp already.
I learned something about shipping the Greyhound way. HA.

Back