Heya All... Purchasing help please! :)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maldeve

Reaction score
Heya All!!

My first post on this board so bare with me if im sure this has been adressed before.

I'm looking to buy my first mesa head and cabinet, but ive noticed alot of people using Mesa heads and mashal cabinets. Is that just a prefrence or are you getting a better tone out of the marshall cabs?

Sorry for being a "Mesa Noob", but its taken me some time to save up for this purchase and I want to make the right one.

Also i do not have the access to play diffrent Boogie heads in my area so im gonna have to make the purchase online.

Any advice would help on the purchase of my new mesa head. :)

Currently im playing with a Jackson Usa Custom SL1 (celtic cross design)
with EMG 81/85 setup. I like to play heavier style music Megadeth , Slayer, old Metallica , At the Gates, and I really get into figuring out some Satch riffs when not playing with my buddies.

So I guess im looking for a head thats Heavy with high gain output but which can also get that warm solo sound.

Any advice or help would be very helpful , Also im looking in the 4k to 4.5k U.S dollar amount.

AGain thank you so much for any helpful replies.

I think that the Mark IV comes closest.

Mark IV head with a nice cab(Stiletto 4x12 or Marshall 1960 Vintage).

The Marshall cab is probably personal taste. Metallica used them a lot in the studio, but a lot of users prefer the smaller mesa 4x12(traditional/stiletto).

I would stick with Boogie....These heads and cabs were designed and manufactured around one another and they really bring out the best in each other.

+2 to the Mark IV
Rectifiers do the job too but I prefer mark series tone. :wink:

I would suggest the Mark IV also but at the same time you might check to see if a Stiletto won't do it for you. Old Metallica (Kill'em All and Ride the Lightning) was played on Marshalls. Master of Puppets began the Mesa Metallica sounds. Megadeth was Marshall forever. Mustaine has in more recent years began playing on other stuff. Slayer is pure Marshall. I haven't gotten into At the Gates yet. Old Satriani was Marshall but later Peavey. This is why I am saying maybe a Stiletto will do it for you. The Mark IV is a great amp though that is tight and has awesome gain. The versatility of the Mark IV along with the graphic EQ really do it for me. I play primarily metal (classic through thrash and speed) but throw down some classic and hard rock along with some blues also.

I think the main thing is that you get an amp that can give you the ability to cover the most ground. You really need to get out and play them before you buy. Take some reference settings with you though because Mesa doesn't dial in quite like other companies' amps.

With the Mark IV, Stiletto, or any other high gain Mesa you will want the Stiletto/Traditional cab for the tightness as was mentioned above.

Hey man...everyone on this board...including me...is going to suggest the Mark IV. In terms of achieving a lead tone, there really is nothing better, other than maybe of course a Mark IIC+, which are hard to find and expensive. Guaranteed, you won't be dissapointed.

i play alot of the same stuff, i use a triple rec 3channel with a traynor ycs412 (celestian vintage 30's) and it sounds amazing.
i tried some marshall cabs (1960a with gt75's and something else), and everyone agree dthe traynor sounded best

I'll throw in my coins for the Mark IV or Stiletto, both are fantastic amps and will nail your tones.

Maldeve said:
Heya All!!

My first post on this board so bare with me if im sure this has been adressed before.

I'm looking to buy my first mesa head and cabinet, but ive noticed alot of people using Mesa heads and mashal cabinets. Is that just a prefrence or are you getting a better tone out of the marshall cabs?

Sorry for being a "Mesa Noob", but its taken me some time to save up for this purchase and I want to make the right one.

Also i do not have the access to play diffrent Boogie heads in my area so im gonna have to make the purchase online.

Any advice would help on the purchase of my new mesa head. :)

Currently im playing with a Jackson Usa Custom SL1 (celtic cross design)
with EMG 81/85 setup. I like to play heavier style music Megadeth , Slayer, old Metallica , At the Gates, and I really get into figuring out some Satch riffs when not playing with my buddies.

So I guess im looking for a head thats Heavy with high gain output but which can also get that warm solo sound.

Any advice or help would be very helpful , Also im looking in the 4k to 4.5k U.S dollar amount.

AGain thank you so much for any helpful replies.

Mesa makes great cabs . I have a Stiletto 4X12 slant . Its the business .

i too will say Mark IV. i think it is the best for what you want. also way back in the day when there was good thrash metal out there, i got some way awesome tones out of my MarkIII. scoop one of those babys and you'll be happy. 6l6 inside el34 outside and you'll hurt people. :twisted:

I just bought a dual rectifier with 2 cabs(recto) and i use el34 tubes. I get a nice and tight metal tone, not as a mark4 but close. You can get a dual cheap. I also play on a 5150 for more at the gates, arch enemy tone but i`ll think i´m gonna sell that. the Mesa boogie dual rect does it all and more. you can easily get som marshall type of tone with el34 tubes

rabies said:
Maldeve said:
im looking in the 4k to 4.5k U.S dollar amount.

Get a f%&# Diezel man. those amps are animal badass. if the einstein was $2k i'd have one right now...

Never looked into those heads before, Are they all around better amps then Mesa? Also can you get a Diezel head and Cab for 4.5k ?

Latest posts

Back