Hetfield & EMG 60 Pickups

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
As far as I know Hetfield uses an EMG 81 in the bridge and an EMG 60 in the neck location.

However, when reading the EMG 60 description on EMG's web page it makes it sound like Hetfield uses it in the bridge location rather than the neck.

What do you guys think? Has anyone tried it in the bridge and compared it to an 81 in the bridge?

I have tried it in the neck position and loved it, I always use 81 in the bridge and love it, but at the same time, if the 60's better/more suited to METAL RYTHYM guitar I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

From EMG's web page:

"EMG-60

And now for something completely different. The EMG-60 was originally designed for Fender in 1979 and was to be featured on the Tele-Elite* Model as a mini-humbucking pickup. Fender changed their plans so we released the EMG-60 in a full size humbucking housing. The EMG-60 still features the close aperture coils loaded with ceramic magnets for the brightest attack of any of our many humbucking models. Yet the EMG-60 packs plenty of output with both clarity and cut through high end. The EMG-60 is incredible for rhythm guitar as metal and extreme players have discovered. After many years the EMG-60 has found its rightful home on James Hetfield's signature ESP models JH-2 and JH-3. Its distinctive crunch sets any rhythm player apart in the mix of a band that pumps a lot of mid-range from the stage. With a distinctive tone for soloing, the 60 works perfectly as a clear but fat lead pickup. The resonance slope is steeper but the peak is higher than other EMG Models. The 60 is the result of a lot of input from different people. It is probably the most versatile humbucking pickup we make, but doesn't get the recognition it deserves."

That's what I think, but I wonder what this crap EMG puts on their web page is all about, marketing I guess...

But I still wonder how it sounds in the bridge?

#2121313 said:
That's what I think, but I wonder what this crap EMG puts on their web page is all about, marketing I guess...

But I still wonder how it sounds in the bridge?

i would guess very fat, almost like a emg85 but with less output. thats all speculation but the 60 in the neck sounds very warm for an active pickup and sounds pretty **** good for cleans. i want to throw the 81tw and 60a in my esp eclipse one day soon.

The 60 in the bridge sounds like a mix between the 60 being in the neck position and an EMG 81 in the bridge. It's has less of an edge, but it's still pretty clear. the cleans sound twangy, almost teley-like, and the dirty sounds have a little "spank" to them as well. I thought it sounded really cool, and i'm eager to try an 85 in the bridge. I've heard it sounds awesome as well.

-AJH

Latest posts

Back