Help with speaker question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrown101

Reaction score
So I just bought a used mkiii greens stripe....Today my drummer turned on the amp and started playing with the amp not in standbye and no speakers were plugged in.... I know this is bad...But the amp still works....could there have been possible damage tho? Or should i assume that everything is still good.

Second of all....

The speaker cabinet i have i dont really like the sound of...I have this fdender hot rod deluxe that i dont use and i was wondering if i can unplug the speaker ( its wired to a 1/4 plug and connected to the amp) and plug it into the boogie essentially using the HRD as a speaker cabinet. The speaker is 8ohms im not sure of the wattage and i also am unsure of matching amp watts and speaker watts

just wanted some feedback before i did something that can ruin the amp....

Probably did no damage to the amp or the output transformer.They have a shorting jack for the output,better than running into an "open" condition.Dont think the HRD speaker will hold up,that amp is only 40 watts,if the speaker blows you could then be running the amp in an "open" condition,the speaker becomes zero load and that could fry your OT.

so i would need a speaker with more watts than the boogie? what is the boogie 100w?

Your Boogie is capa ble of putting out 100watts RMS,the speaker should be at least 150 watts,I believe the EV is 200 watts.

dude, go ahead and plug your boogie into your deluxe cab if you want. might sound great ya know.

just dont expect it to hold up at concert volume levels.

live a little.

EV= Electro-Voice its a speaker brand.A common stock speaker in Boogies.They used a couple others and they are all around 150 watts or better.If I'm not mistaken the E-V is rated for 200 watts,it is capable of handling much more,tho.

topcat0399 said:
dude, go ahead and plug your boogie into your deluxe cab if you want. might sound great ya know.

live a little.
And kiss that speaker goodbye

stokes said:
topcat0399 said:

live a little.
And kiss that speaker goodbye

oh comeonnnnnn

If he cranks his output volume to say......4 I dunno: it "might" let go. I doubt it. Now if he cranks it to frickin 11 with the pres all real hot - well thats just silly.

No sane person plays at those volume around these parts and continues to work steady......

A Mark IV with output set at say....1 maybe 1.5 ( a relatively sane volume) - ain't gonna blow that speaker.

comeon

Its a MKIIC+ not a MKIV.Its a 100 watt amp and should not be used with a speaker from a 40 watt amp.Not sure what he has in that HRD but the stock speaker is probably not even 100 watts.His amp is 100 watts RMS,that is 100 watts before the onset of distortion.Sure,if he wants to "try" the speaker at bedroom level,he could chance it,but I wouldnt recommend it for regular use.No tech or manufacturer would recommend any speaker that isnt 2x's the expected output,that is the normal safety margin for sound equipment.Not just speakers but any components inside,if a resistor is expected to carry 2 watts of current,you use a 4 or 5 watter.If you want to use an underrated speaker or component in your gear,thats fine,but it is just plain bad advice to tell someone "sure,its okay to put 100 watts thru that 80 watt speaker,go for it,it might sound good".

stokes said:
Its a MKIIC+ not a MKIV.Its a 100 watt amp and should not be used with a speaker from a 40 watt amp.Not sure what he has in that HRD but the stock speaker is probably not even 100 watts.His amp is 100 watts RMS,that is 100 watts before the onset of distortion.Sure,if he wants to "try" the speaker at bedroom level,he could chance it,but I wouldnt recommend it for regular use.No tech or manufacturer would recommend any speaker that isnt 2x's the expected output,that is the normal safety margin for sound equipment.Not just speakers but any components inside,if a resistor is expected to carry 2 watts of current,you use a 4 or 5 watter.If you want to use an underrated speaker or component in your gear,thats fine,but it is just plain bad advice to tell someone "sure,its okay to put 100 watts thru that 80 watt speaker,go for it,it might sound good".

:oops: mkIIc+ :oops:

YEAH BUDDY - WHAT HE SAID. :roll:

just wondering....my amp is simulclass and the manual says if the switch is in class a (or down) its merely 15 watts....

the speaker in the hrd is 30 or 40 i believe??

this still wouldnt work?

plus another question....i read the manual and it said that in the class a position the inner 6l6s are off but on my amp they all four are still lit up in class a.is this normal?

rocknroll9225 said:
stokes said:
Your Boogie is capa ble of putting out 100watts RMS,the speaker should be at least 150 watts,I believe the EV is 200 watts.
Nope. Green stripe mark III's are 85 watts.
It depends where the tubes are idling.4X 6L6 is capable of putting out 120 watts RMS.Besides it really doesnt make that much of a difference 85 or 100 watts its still a 40 watt speaker.
Yes,if you use it in the class A setting you can get away with it.If you keep it low enough in the full power mode you can get away with it,just dont turn it up,but its still not something I would say is okay to do.As for the inner tubes still being "lit up",when they are "out of circuit" it is just the cathode of the tubes that get disconnected,the glow you see is from the heaters,perfectly normal.

Although I have worked on many Boogies,I've never had a MKIII on my bench.I can only go by what I see on a schematic and from what I see I would not recomend it.The "Class A" switch,from what I see merely lifts the cathodes on the inner pair of 6L6's.Now they claim it is class A,but if you drive a pair of 6L6's into class A you are going to be putting out a lot more than 15 watts.I know the outer tubes in these simul amps is biased a lot colder than the inner pair,but I have to be skeptical about the power out without actually putting a meter on the amp.Now,as has been stated already,if you keep the volume down,the speaker will hold up.But heres a problem,as you increase the volume the speaker will begin to break up more and sound better,so you may be inclined to continue raising the volume,thinking "a little bit more wont hurt".I can tell you a speaker in this situation will sound absolutely killer right before it fails.Its your amp,so you will undoubtedly do what you want to,I cannot,with a clear coscience tell someone it is absolutely safe to connect a 40 watt speaker to an amp capable of putting out much more wattage.

Back