help with my Tremoverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody777

Reaction score
Got a T-verb head on Monday... killer amp... I am amazed at how versatile yet simple this amp is. And the tone is awesome.

I'm having an issue with volume... there isn't enough! I think I have something set wrong, but last night at band practice I was running the amp full blast and still barely keeping up with the rest of the band. When I switched to clean with a bit of grit I was completely gone.

Anybody know if this might be a setting issue or a problem with the amp?

Hmmmmm, check your FX mix knobs in the back. This is a problem some dual recto users run in to and don't notice there fx mix knobs have been turned down.

On my T-verb channel 2 (orange to red), I had the main output set at about 11:00 and the channel volume around 9:00-10:00 gain around 3:00 and it was the loudest thing on the stage.

Check the FX mix knobs, maybe even put a guitar cable in all the 1/4 inch jacks in the back and pull it out a few times to make sure there isn't any crud inside causing a problem. You might even try pulling all your tubes out and re-seating them. If none of that works, I don't know what else to try short of taking it to an amp repair guy?

Anyone else have any ideas?

I have a feeling it is something to do with the FX loop... but the rotary knob in the back is set to turn the loop off? Are you talking about the knobs in back on the FX loop or the knob in front. The knob in front didn't do anything, but I didn't mess with the ones in the back.

Cool... I'll try that tonight...

Other than the volume issue, it's a sweet amp!

If that doesn't work, you probably need some new tubes.

I would start with the Power Tubes 1st. Make sure that the type of tubes you are using match the switch setting on the back. 6L6's must have the switch set to 6L6, EL34's must have the switch set to EL34.

If that doesn't work, then I would change the Preamp Tubes.

Most of the amps I have seen with lowered output have old Power Tubes. Replacing them has worked in almost all of these cases.

You should also replace the Phase Inverter tube when replacing your Power Tubes. It is usually the closest 12AX7 tube to the Power Tubes, but I am not sure with the Tremoverb. You should consult your manual or download a copy from Mesa's website if you don't have one.

I thought it might have been the tubes, but the guy I bought it from retubed it with Mesa 6L6s and sovtek/EH preamp tubes and National rectifier tubes.

I think the problem (if there is a problem) has to do with the FX loop. When I turn the knob on the back to turn the FX loop on, I can turn the FX knob on the front up like a master volume and balance each channel voluem - and that's hella-loud.

But when the loop is off, the knob in front does nothing and the volume is really low... why would that be?

I can turn the FX knob on the front up like a master volume and balance each channel voluem - and that's hella-loud.

That's how I ran all of my boogies, so I'm not sure? I'm wanting to say it's normal, but you think you'd have a little more volume than what you have the other way too???

Humm, very strange young padwan.

That is strange. With the loop totally off you should be able to control each channels volume individually and peel the paint of the walls pretty easily. They are loud amps!

4nkam said:
So the fx master volume works fine, but with the loop off, the individual channel master volumes don't work?

MJ

No, the individual channel master volumes still work, they just don't get nearly as loud as they should.

Back